A little tftp help

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by quackers, Sep 11, 2007.

1. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

I'm just trying to copy the flash to a tftp server setup on my machine, now i'm having a few problems. This will be so obvious to everyone :)

The 2501 is setup from fresh, i've assigned passwords, host name, an ip address to e0 and no shutdown.

Now i've got no connectivity to my xp machine, either when it's plugged directly into my machine, when the cisco router is plugged into my little netgear router etc

I'm a bit confused, what am i missing here? Also, can i copy everything over just using the console cable?

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What does show ip interface brief show you about the status of your interfaces? All up/up?

Is the IP address on the same subnet as your XP box?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

ip is the same as the xp machine, interface is up, protocol is down

4. BosonMichael

IP address is the same??? Or in the same subnet? Can't have two devices with the same IP address...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

same range and subnet, 1.4 and 1.5 255.255.255.0

6. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

e0?

That suggests 10Mbit half-duplex ethernet - may be autonegotiation issues with the netgear and/or the NIC on the XP machine around speed and duplex settings?

Is e0 set to auto or to 'duplex half' and the speed to 10 (not negotiating)?

Is it possible to force everything else to the same setting rather than auto?

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  7. BosonMichael

What's the switch connected to, and using what cable?

8. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

Hi,

There could be any number of problems here including routes, duplex, XP firewall etc. It can be tricky but you need first of all to connect the router to the TFTP server and then ping from server to router and router to server. You MUST turn off XP firewall and permit send/receive packets on the TFTP software.

I have posted two videos for you both of which you need to watch. Quality isn't great i'm afraid because they were filmed for another site so YouTube settings make them a bit blurred. If the moderators don't want them on my posting then I will remove them but I think they will be a big help.

Video 1

How to set up your PC and router with TFTP software (IOS upgrade)

Video 2

How to do a copy start tftp (you can swap that for copy flash tftp etc).

Hope it helps

9. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

I have realised my mistake, in the end i used the aui to connect the router to my little netgear switch/router combo.

It worked, but my connection went nuts.

Any ideas on how i should connect it up?

10. BosonMichael

Yep... connect the ethernet port on the Cisco router to the ethernet port of the Netgear router (or your PC). Crossover cable may be required.

11. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

Well im going to try and connect an old win98 pc to a 2504 router now using just a straight through cable, as it doesnt seem to have a connection to use the aui with

12. BosonMichael

No... as you've seen, you can't use the AUI port to connect to a PC. :)

13. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

right now i'm confused to hell

my 2503 (with aui port) is now connected via the aui -> straight through cable into my little netgear router and it's working...

Now my 2504 has no aui port, it has

token ring, two serial, bri, console and aux

How the heck can i connect this for the tftp?

14. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster