A little help with my steps

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by stubbs89, Jan 25, 2008.

1. stubbs89

stubbs89 Bit Poster

Hi

I've introduced myself in another thread but basically im looking to start a career in IT, been looking around the forum for awhile and would like to just ask a few questions to get a better idea of things.

As I understand it my best plan is to try my best to get an entry level IT job to gain experience but to also gain certifications. I'm wondering what my best course of action is to gain a slightly less advanced certification to get that entry level IT would be? and also once i have that certification and job what certifications for becoming a web designer would be worthwhile. Web design is primarily the field I'm interested in and the areas surrounding it in time.

I understand thats allot to ask of you, but any help at all would be very much appreciated, as i say i have great affection for IT and would like to see myself as becoming involved in it for a living

Thanks for reading

Certifications: none
  2. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Hi stubbs89
    If your goal Web designer, I would look at graphics design to then more door will be open to you. print/logos/flyers and giving you chance to got freelancer web/graphics designer to boost portfolio.

I have an H.N.D web/graphics but don't thinks it would help getting 1st or 2nd line support.

Have a look at night school for Dreamweaver then you don't have to give up your day job. One way to lean HTML then rushing off to notepad .)

Are you looking at just front end web design only or both on to coding.

best tips I can give have an online portfolio and hard portfolio not all interviewers have computer setup to view your website.

3. stubbs89

stubbs89 Bit Poster

yes im looking for a mix of design and coding. As i say I don't know too much about what my best options are but I'd like to be able build a professional website myself, not so much interest in networking or hosting etc but the coding of the website, the design and the seo etc to a high 'employable' standard.

4. stubbs89

stubbs89 Bit Poster

ok thanks ence

any suggestions for a course i can begin self studying whilst staying in my current job (office work) so that i could get my foot in the door of an entry level IT job? I've had suggestions of CompTIA A+ as that would keep my options as what area of IT i want to work in, would you agree? or CIA?