A little help in the right direction!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by M_Cade, Jan 18, 2008.

1. M_Cade

M_Cade Bit Poster

Firstly hello to everyone. i found this forum today and read over some posts and found them to be very informative so i thought i would join and see if someone could help me in the right direction.

firstly a bit of background, i am from england when i was at school i aquired an advanced vocational qualifacation in IT (The same as two A-Levels just more hands on and more across the board) then after completing this course i moved into work for a smallish computer showroom shop that provided new systems to a number of large companies and organisations. I started their building desktop machine and anything in between up to servers. I then moved to QC dept where i well QC'd thosed systems ready to go out to the customer, then after that moved into tech dept where i really found my feet after being in the tech dept for just under 6 months i was then put in charge of two members of staff, at the age of 21 and being in charge of two people i wouldnt say is too bad, but then came the brick wall! i went to my boss at the time and asked for some qualifacations pref Microsoft (As this was the main O/S and system that was being used) i was then told a straight NO, on that note i looked for a new job because i thought without training you are not really going to move anywhere really fast! and at 21 possibly a little naive. So i found a new job within a software company with an internal engineer role and with the prospect of all training that was needed. After being at my first company for just over 3 years, i was expecting a similar sort of stint in the new place. it took 8 months for them to accept to buy any books for any exams, and then after being there a year i got made redundant and a week after that the company went into liquidation. (to be honest didnt enjoy the place at all) So just before xmas in 2007 i was redundant and on the look out for a new place, I managed to find a place which was similar to my first role in the tech dept, So i have been there a few weeks and already the talk of training is in the air.

Now what i need help with is the route i am going to take with my Microsoft Exams. My first thoughts were to do my

MCDST - basically because it is two exams which will get me back into the learning and the exams and will help me prepare for the next courses.

Secondly i would go for the MCSA - This is because where i am now is mostly on the helpdesk and i feel this would broaden my knowledge further.

Thirdly i was thinking of doing my MCSE this being a while off at the moment but i think what i am aiming at is looking to work in a feild engineer position or even further on still an IT consultant.

Sorry if i have bored you so much with this post, i just feel if you paint the picture you get a better answer.

Regards,

Certifications: MCTS, MCITP-EA, NCDA, NCIE
    WIP: MCITP:VA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF

Sounds like you have a good plan there, I'd go for it but check you have the relevant experience for certs such as the MCSE on the MIcrosoft web site.

Good luck with your studies.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. M_Cade

M_Cade Bit Poster

cheers for the reply,

i have checked through them and in theory it seems i could do them now with the experience i have but just need to get back into the studying and exam way so i dont waste any time or money on the mcse, i think it will be at least a year or maybe two before i start the mcse, and in my job atm i very much going to be learning the relevant software and procedures but it is learning them the Microsoft way.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds of if your sorted, you just need the books now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums. The MCDST is certainly a good step for someone in your position. You may also want to consider the A+ and/or Network+. The MCSA and MCSE are a little above your current experience level. I would hold off on those until you've gained more experience not only working help desk, but administering servers. The MCSA and MCSE are not intended for help desk technicians, but for server administrators who have experience with server-based products.

6. M_Cade

M_Cade Bit Poster

Sorry i didnt explain it very well the position i am working in is on the helpdesk which is at the moment supporting a large amount of software and customers (only business users though not the public) the problems i deal with range from problems with Microsoft Exchange to ISA, AD etc. Also setting up servers from scratch.

sorry i should of included that in my essay at the start. i think at the moment MCSE is too much for me at the moment but i have a year or so.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, M_Cade. Welcome to CertForums. I have to agree that you seem to have the background and the plan pretty much dialed. I would encourage you not to depend too much on your employer to provide your MS training. It's great if they'll pay for books and such, but if they don't, please don't let that hold you back. The person in charge of your training and your career is you.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said. :)

Welcome!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!