A+ length and update

Discussion in 'A+' started by ~Luke, Apr 27, 2011.

1. ~Luke

~Luke New Member

Hello,

I am thinking of doing the A+ Self study (using the Mike Meyers book here: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition Exams 220-701 & 220-702: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Meyers: Books)

My questions are:

1.) how long do you think it could take to complete it? Just roughly. How long did it take you?

2.) When will the new A+ syllabus come out - I think its every 2 years isnt it so would it be a waste if I learn the 220-701 & 220-702 if another is out shortly?

Any thoughts,

Many thanks,

WIP: A+
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

1) It entirely depends on your current level of experience, how much free time you have and how well you learn. I think I took about 4 months with minimal experience but a fair bit of free time.

2) Since they've changed to having to renew this cert every 3 years, which version you take is irrelevant as long as you have a current cert. I don't think it's due for a change any time soon, the last series lasted 4 years I think, and it only changed last year.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

took me under 2 months prob hour a day

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. ~Luke

~Luke New Member

Thanks for the replies,

I asked on here a while ago what courses to take.

I am very experienced (years) but dont have any qualification/certifications.

Last time I was persuaded towards the MCTS/MCITP but this is just microsoft. With the A+ it seems more generic covering anything hardware based.

I would like to take a networking course after at some point so I was thinking of getting the A+ (generic, covers everything hardware etc) then Network+ (to learn networking. I know basic networking from my job) or a CISCO course.

I looked at the Meyer book for A+ (on amazon preview) and I read things in there that I didnt even know (like power details etc).

Any thoughts? Is this a good move?

For the record I purchased the Microsoft training kit for configuring windows7 a while back but because this is just windows7 i have now changed my mind.

thanks,

5. ~Luke

~Luke New Member

anyone?

6. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Hi - was looking at self study or training providers...see below.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/a/44612-computeach-self-study-advice.html

I decided to go down the self study route and I started the A+ with the Mike Meyers book a week ago. So perhaps we are in a similar position. The book is good. Full of digestible information, well laid out and I'm actually rather enjoying it.

All my research says to

1) start with the A+ which can be achieved via self study (Michael Meyers) and Professor Messer's website Professor Messer's Free 220-70x CompTIA A+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

2) on to Netowork+ again via self study (Michael Meyers) etc

3) then Security+ or the MCITP, but this is getting much further down the line for me to advise you.

The far more experienced and qualified people can feel free to correct...I need the help also.

Hope that helps.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the A+ and N+ are a good move for begginners but if you have lots of experience (by experience I mean in a job) then you may find the A+ and N+ a bit boring but that all depends on what you actually do.

THe A+ teaches basic hardware and operating systems subjects whilst the N+ teaches basic networking. Mike Meyers does some good books.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?