A laptop for MCDST and further study?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RickUK, Jun 8, 2008.

1. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Hello folks

I want to buy a workstation that I can mess around with for my 70-271 exam. I have a widescreen laptop at home but to pass the exam it looks like I need to buy a second computer where I can change the settings and do stuff like re-installing Windows etc.

I was looking at the Dell Outlet website and it seems laptops are now cheaper than desktops, if you add in the monitor. I would most like a 15.4 inch laptop that I can pop in a rucksack and take around in my rucksack when I am cycling around.

After I have done the MCDST exams, I want to move on to studying Visual Basic programming.

I guess the advantage of a desktop is that it is easier to get inside the box.

What do people think? Can I pass the MCDST without a desktop computer?

Regards
    Richard

WIP: 70-271
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Have thought about using Virtual PC or VWMare and using a virtual environment? It would be cheaper than splashing out on a new laptop, unless you need a new laptop anyway.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Interesting, Ken. I didn't even know about those programs. My Microsoft Press book tells me that I should have another PC for playing about on - but maybe that was before the launch of Virtual PC.

Do I "need" a new laptop? No. Do I want an excuse for another bit of kit? Damn right! :) Can I afford it? Probably not!

WIP: 70-271
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You wont need another bit of kit as the MCDST centers only on the operating system for the 271 and then mainly office for the 272, it wont ask you to perform any hardware maintenance on the computer as part of your study apart from knowing when you should add more memory and general hardware failures.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Im doing the MCDST course just now and i use virtual PC, as dales said you dont have to change anything major on this course just know where things are really.

but then again, its a good excuse to buy a new laptop!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing