A+ IT TECH

Discussion in 'A+' started by spy22, Nov 24, 2007.

1. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Please insult my ignorance, but am I correct in suggesting that the IT Tech part of A+ exams is basically the same theory? why is it split into two? what is the main difference?

I have passed my essentials so am I right in suggesting I am ready for the IT Tech exam also?

Thanks in advance:D

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  2. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

They are two different exams one is based mainly on software and the other is mainly hardware, if you have been using an all in one book you might be ready but just because you have passed the essentials does not mean you are ready to take the tech if you have not studied for it.

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  3. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Thanks Klospros, thats all I needed to know!

:p

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  4. John_G

John_G Bit Poster

Hi, how did you find the actual test questions compared to the practice questions in say the Mike Myers books?

Certifications: A+
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Spot on. I found the Meyers questions gave me the best "feel" for the exam, over Transcender's.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. John_G

John_G Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about going the Transcender route actually.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have both Trancender and the preplogic ones, and I feel the preplogic ones are better than Transcender the one on the Mike Meyers CD are good too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. John_G

John_G Bit Poster

How about the Ucertify ones? Anyone tried these out?

thanks again guys.

9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I got the Transcender ones for A+ too, cost me quite abit. They are good, and highlight weak areas which is a good help, but I still prefered the Meyers questions! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Aside from unethical behavior, such as their practice of forum spamming?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. John_G

John_G Bit Poster

Thanks for the link.

12. greenbrucelee

If you download free trials of preplogic and Transcender software you can find out for yourself.

I found the Transcender stuff badly written and slightly too simplistic I prefered Preplogic as I said earlier.

I am waiting for Boson stuff in the future, when Mike gets his act together :p

13. BosonMichael

Excellent idea. Always download demos before buying.

Not my fault, thank goodness! 8)
    ...all I can say is, I'm glad I don't have to edit that schtuff anymore...

Muchly appreciated. A+ Essentials is currently in the works. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. greenbrucelee

Well when you do it, I'll do a full review from ease of installation,gui design, presentation, questions and ease of use etc.

I remember at uni, I had to do an indepth report on Microsoft Works and Windows 3.11 and Oracle which I recieved a distinction for (actually it was 99%) and Dr Duddel who used to program submarine missile systems, said I should look into reporting about software and debugging it, but I hate programming especially C++

15. BosonMichael

I know you're not working on it... but Vista will be out even sooner. ;)

16. greenbrucelee

when do you think the Boson practice exams will be commercially available, or is that a piece of string question?

17. BosonMichael

Some Boson ExSim-Max practice exams are already available. We are releasing the CCNA, ICND1 and ICND2 exams this week (tomorrow, I believe). The SQL exams have been available for a while.

For A+, yeah, it's a piece of string question. We're doing multiple tasks (training writers, refining processes, creating standards) while writing the product, so I doubt I could tell you with any precision when the A+ will be released.

I will keep you all posted on it's progress, since many of you are working on the A+.

After A+ Essentials, we will likely work on the IT Technician exam, probably with the same authors. I hope we can get done with it before Windows Server 2008 interrupts it! :ohmy

18. greenbrucelee

Maybe I will be passed A+ by the time you have it completed, hopefully I'll be onto N+ or even MCDST :blink

But yeah keep me posted and a word of advice if I may, dont use a similar looking gui to the trancender exams because it looks too simple and the colours are the sort of colour that make you, well me disinterested.

19. BosonMichael

The GUI's long since been created... and outside of my department. But I would be happy to pass along your comments to them! :)

20. greenbrucelee

cool :)