A Hello!! and Advice Question

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Inspiration, May 21, 2009.

1. Inspiration

Inspiration Bit Poster

Hello!!

I've posted on this forum before but never introduced myself.

I'm a 30 year old who has been in IT related jobs since 17. I started off in 1st line ISP support, then went to 2nd line, then hosting support. And then moved into a new job being responsible for a 40 PC network and development of a pretty big SQL 2k Database with Access/VBA front end. Also some admin tasks on several Windows 2003 servers.

And that's where I'm at now.

My reason for being here is that in those 13 years, I've not gained a single IT qualification. I've plenty of experience of Windows, Windows servers, some Linux, SQL 2k, VBA.. but no paper work... no letters on my CV.

My dilemma, and this is where I hope you folks can help me out.. is as follows:

I want to gain a Microsoft qualification as a sort of insurance policy in the event that I loose my job, or I want to move into another IT role. The way I see it, this can only benefit me and my experience. Certification is never a bad thing with experience, I just don't want to waste my time and money on picking the 'wrong' route.

However, I'm stuck on which route to take.

I've narrowed it down to two paths:

- Get MCTS: SQL Server 2005

It would I hope compliment the 4 years database development experience I have and help me get into another database role if I needed to. However I'm a little concerned that the jump from SQL 2000 to 2005 will make this exam quite difficult to begin my certification journey with. I've not used SQL Server 2005 yet, although after a quick look around a lot of it seems familiar. I've also read this particular exam (70-431) is quite a difficult one on these forums.

- Get MCSA

Covers a wider range of technologies and may suit my entire IT experience rather than just the Database side. However, more exams over a longer period of time.

I should add I plan to self study.

---

I just can't decide. My feeling is I should get 70-431, which will compliment my database development role I'm in now.. and then move onto MCSA and get that covered later in the year. I'm just worried the 70-431 may intimidate me so much I don't get very far into it.. and lose my motivation. Am I being too cautious?

I'd appreciate any advice... as I know I need to get *SOMETHING*.. if just as an insurance policy of sorts in these worrying times.

Thanks folks. You're an awesome bunch of people and I can tell I'll be spending a lot of time here. Thank you for taking time out to read.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & belated welcome to CF :)

The MCSA comprises of 3 required modules/exams and 1 elective. Why don't you do both?

The required exams: 70-620 or the 70-270, the 70-290, the 70-291 and for the elective the SQL exam (70-431). Best of both worlds :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Inspiration

Inspiration Bit Poster

How embarassing.. of course it does.. I totally forgot that. You're right, I can kill two birds with one stone.

Thank you for that. I get so lost in anxiety sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Someone with your level of experience should be able to achieve both MCSA and MCTS SQL Server in a reasonable timeframe, say a years self study. The 291 is the hardest of the bunch. Pick up a training kit for 431 and play with SQL Server 2005, if you know SQL 2000 well you should be able to pass.

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

What DMarsh and Wagnerk have said.

I would also take alook at ITIL v3 Foundation as well as this seems to be more and more in demand all the time.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to the Forum.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+