A+ has changed, but I passed anyway.

Discussion in 'A+' started by Ken, May 29, 2006.

1. Ken

Ken Bit Poster

Hi. Last year I posted here for the first time, telling you all how I'd failed A+ OS. Well, on Saturday, I passed - second time lucky. And I'm very satisfied with myself (as I don't consider myself a natural with technology).
    I thought I should tell you, I found the last test to be very different to last year's. For a start, there were 100 questions, 20 more than last time. Secondly, a lot of questions were rewordings of earlier questions (this caused me some alarm, and I started second guessing myself, which is not a good thing to do). Lastly, some questions were downright odd, such as:

"You are at a customer site and you find illegal files on the hard drive. You should
    A. call the police immediately
    B. offer encryption device
    C. sieze the computer and take it to the police
    D. erase the files and warn the customer that they are illegal"
    There were five or six questions like this!

Anyway, Network+ here I come!

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ken congrats on the pass mate, long time coming 8)

Hopefully that is not an actual question that you were faced with, as it would be copyrighted and hence not suitable for posting here.

My reaction to questions like that is, you should not be nosing around in peoples private documents, emails or pictures on their personal computers. Would you start rummaging through their draws and filing cabinets whilst you were cleaning their carpets?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats on the pass Ken! :biggrin

4. Ken

Ken Bit Poster

Thanks.
    That question was similar to one I answered, and there were others like it. I think comptia's jumping on the paranoia bandwagon!

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the Pass :beers2

Very wierd question indeed.
    I bet that was not covered in Mr Meyers A+ Bible :blink

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

congrats on the pass! :alc yeah doesnt suprise me.. looks like all certification exams you take these days have trick questions or maybe stuff you dont find in exam guides. :blink

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the pass. Don't forget that these exams will possibly have some new questions that do not count toward the final pass score as they are being tested for suitability.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Contartulations for passing.. 8)

You answered 100 questions?

I think you were one of the lucky candidates to try out new questions in your test.CompTIA do say that some questions may appear that are for evaluation purposes and do not count toward your final score,but 20 of them!That's a bit salty!!!

I had some oddly put questions with regards to customer reaction and giving a correct response in a 'helpdesk' scenario,lucky for me though I got the buggers right..but they can be awkwardly worded I must admit.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  10. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Well done on the pass Ken! :clap :thumbleft

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  11. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Congratz on the pass m8. :)

I had 100 questions on Friday and was thinking to my self i can't remember doing this many for the hardware. I also got some werid ones you spoke off. :o

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  12. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Could these be questions,under scrutiny,for the new exam I'm wondering?? :dry

By the way,since you had 100 questions,did you get any longer to finish the exam,or did they expect it all in the usual 90 minute window?

Certifications: A+ Network+
  13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Congratulations on Passing :clap

Just out of curiosity which is the correct answer? :blink

Monkey

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I would have thought D.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done Ken :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. Ken

Ken Bit Poster

Thanks for all the congrats.
    The right answer has to be D. I can't think of any reason why the others would be correct.
    There were a lot of this kind of question, they appeared together right at the end. The test I took last year had none like this. I finished the exam in around 35 minutes, but I could have had a 45 minute extension on top of the standard time. They make this allowance for English language exams if you're in a country where it is not the native language. I live in Japan and it's simple enough to select Japanese when you book, so I don't really know why they make such a concession, although if it was Mongolia or wherever it'd make a lot more sense.

I have to say, getting this cert has really boosted my confidence and although I'll probably not use it in a vocational capacity, I've really learnt a lot.

See you on the Network+ threads.