A good small server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keithmoon, Jan 17, 2010.

1. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

Hey all :)

looking for advice for a good small business server, going to get a hosting company to host sharepoint services for me but would also like to keep a copy of stuff on a local machine, can anyone recommend anything? must have raid at least :)

cheers all

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can spec a RAID card with this Dell server.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/bus...105/pd.aspx?refid=pedge_t105&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

As small and cheap as they get, ML110 G5, add another gig, at least, of ram, and couple of 320gig HDs.

Certifications: A+
  4. TechHead.co.uk

TechHead.co.uk New Member

I use both the HP Proliant ML110 and ML115's in my home lab and they work a treat. Be careful with the new ML110 G6 as the disk controller is not currently supported/detected by VMware ESX(i) 4.0.

They would also be good for a SMB server though bear in mind that they don't have a redundant PSU and the onboard RAID on most servers at this level is basic at best.

I have more information on my site about using both of these server models in a lab environment. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Simon
    www.techhead.co.uk

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Certifications: VMware VCP, vExpert, MCSE, HP MASE, ASE
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

ebuyer.com have the ml110 and 115 G5 on the cheap till Friday, OT hey Simon your site is the mutts nuts :D keep up the good work

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

thanks lads

7. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

hey guys can someone just confirm for me that the ml110 g5 has a built in raid contoller? not getting a straight answer from ebuyer and really need it to have built in Raid
    cheers all

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Its got a "HP Embedded 6 Port SATA Controller with Embedded RAID (4 ports for HDD)" and it is a "Intel Corporation 82801i" according to openfiler the ones on ebuyer are Pentium E2160, there use to be loads of Xeon models but they are hard to come by these days, if I had a few bucks more I would go with the ML115

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  9. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Keith i have changed my mind, have a look at the Dell T series, the lower end, they look better than te proliants to me.

Certifications: A+
  10. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

thanks for the reply zr :) so do the hp's on ebuyer have built in raid?
    could you also be kind enough to link me to one of the dell server's you mentioned.
    thanks alot mate
    Leo

11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Thought I answered that already, although the onboard RAID is cack and wouldn't chuck it into production.

12. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

be careful if you buy a Intel versions HP had a moment and stopped supplying Intel models with VT support.
    I don't known if the was temporary but still better check.

I have a couple at home and one of the charity's i help out i have suggested they look into them, hopefully, with a lights out card!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots