A few questions!

Discussion in 'A+' started by winko, Sep 1, 2010.

1. winko

winko New Member

Hi there, Im thinking of studying towards the A+ exam but just a few questions first before I buy the book...

1. Will I realistically be able to study for the exam before the end of the year as Im aware of the change in how long your certified for?

2. Will I be able to book the exam (at Pearson Vue or Prometric) in time before the end of the year or is there usually a month or two wait?

3. Do I have to register on the CompTIA website as Ive had a look but I cant work out how to do it!

Thats pretty much all I need to know, thanks! :biggrin

Certifications: BTEC ND in IT
    WIP: A+ MCDST
  2. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Welcome to the forums Winko. Will attempt to answer your questions for you as I'm UK based too :)

1. Yes. Most definately. I started studying properly in January this year and had no certs before that. Did A+ in a couple months but wasn't really dedicated to it and the same with Network+. Picked up some steam for my MCTS and did that in 4 weeks. Depending on how well you study and the commitment you make; I see no reason whatsoever why you can't pass by November nevermind December :)

2. You can book the exam at either prometric or pearsonvue (google them for direct URLs) and the timescales vary for sites but very little notice is often needed. I've just booked my Security+ exam for next Tuesday and was going to book it for the Tuesday just gone on Sunday night. It is all done online so providing the Testing Centre is open and taking bookings you can usually book up until the night before (never tried to book on the actual day but would imagine that's possible too).

3. You register with Prometric/PearsonVUE for your exam and you get your CompTIA details after sitting the first exam if I recall correctly.

Hope that answers your questions :)

K

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  3. winko

winko New Member

Thanks Killian thats cleared it all up, Il order the book now then! Also good luck with your Secuity + exam!

Certifications: BTEC ND in IT
    WIP: A+ MCDST
  4. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

No worries bud. Best of luck for your studying too. Am sure you'll make it no probs. And remember; there are plenty of people on here willing to help so if you get stuck with anything in particular then start a thread and give us a chance to help out :)

Have fun!

5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Sorry this may be a silly question, but I thought that the A+ was changing at the end of August going from the 60*'s to the 70*'s I ordered the 701 book because of this change.

If it is the end of the year will what I study from the 701 book be ok if I book my exam before the end of the year?

Certifications: City & Guilds level PC repar 1 & 2
    WIP: Comptia A+
  7. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

you're correct.

The 701 series, if attained before the end of December this year is for life.

If not, then you recertify every 3 years.

Which book did you purchase?

Best of luck btw 8)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
    Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  8. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

They tend to update the objectives every 3 years so what you're learning now would apply to the A+ exams for the next 2 years until the 2012 objectives come out (probably around August 2012 or later).

But you want to do them by the end of this year else you'll have to recertify every 3 years if you want to keep the A+ status. :)

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The two exam tracks (60x and 70x) were running side-by-side for a while. The old series (60x) has retired now so the only exams available to take are the 701/702.
    If you pass both exams by the end of the year, you will be certified for life, otherwise you will only be certified for 3 years.
    Don't stress about the timescale, either way you will be certified for a minimum of 3 years and after 6-12 months on the job the A+ is pretty much just CV padding.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

so would you suggest to still aim for the A+ before the end of the year, and I will be able to book a 70x exam and not the 60x exams.

few "wipes sweet of brow"

and the book I bought was CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) by
    Michael Meyers

Certifications: City & Guilds level PC repar 1 & 2
    WIP: Comptia A+
  11. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Go for it! It sounds like you have a good start.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple