A+ exam , sockets and processors

Discussion in 'A+' started by Dhughes, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

Just revising the sockets and processors before i sit my exam, with asking what questions other people had on their exams as i understand tellig this is again compTIA terms and conditions can anybody hint to me how indeepth i need to know these for the 601 exam.
    It just strikes me as something in the real wor youd look up as and when needed not something you need to memorise.
    Do i need to know all sockets/slot, their processors, speeds, cache memorys and working voltages?

Any help or hints very apprechiated :@)

Certifications: A+ Essentails, A+ Technician , MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

a suggestion from the experience with the old objectives is that sockets, Cache size and a rough idea of what speed they run at are the most important things but they could concievably test you on any part of it....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I remember the same when I was studying for A+.

I went over and over the pins, manufacturer, speeds etc. Then exam time the correct answer stood out like a sore thumb.

One of the differences between the Comptia exams and the Microsoft ones is the "ease of choice" so make the most of it!

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

Guys i just noticed i made a BOOBOO!!! i put 602, bull im doing the essentails at the mo which is the 601 lol sorry!!
    I think this means i can tell myself to chill a bit!! I knew comptia had just started to chance the exams over but really wasnt sure how different the structure was.
    You see i thought i was close to getting ready for my exam, then i looked about a bit and found some a+ questions which hit me with the biggest stick ever!! but now i think i understand they must have been the 2003 questions where the exams where more involved and not split like they are now ( he says hopefully!) so i shall carry on looking into the sockets and cpu's but i dont think im going to be asked that indeepthly about them otherwise they would have no need for the A+ hardware exam surely?? ( he says even more hopefully lol)

Have you guys (the two above) done the essentials exam or our you talking from 2003 exam exerience?

5. tallphil

tallphil Bit Poster

I'm preparing for 601 and 602 and wondering about the same thing.

I'm using Mike Meyers' book which is excellent in most respects, but it does include a lot of stuff that isn't actually needed for A+ 2006, if Meyer's own practice tests are a good guide.

Meyers includes lots of data on each CPU, and writes "Take the time to memorise certain facts such as the size of the L1 and L2 caches, CPU speeds, and clock-doubling features". However, his practice exams only seem to test the socket/slot for each CPU class, not caches, speeds or multipliers.

So I'm just memorising the socket numbers. Seems to me my limited ability to remember daft numbers is better spent on other aspects of the ancient history of PCs, which do come up in the practice tests.

Phil.

WIP: A+
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Which edition of his book are you using?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

my above theory was correct, i passed my A+ today, I studied at a level on something far far far deeper than i needto too to say the least lol

8. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

The meyers books are great becuase they tell you EVERYTHING that could come up on a test and also gives you stuff that is good to at least understand if not have commited to memory.

So yeah, you don't have to learn exact MHz's and such to pass the exam but when applied to the real world you'll be that bit more clued up when you don't have the option of googling the answer! No such thing as learning too much in this industry....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  9. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

i definatrly agree im glad i learnt what i did as it will still come in handy its just i feel i could of sat this exam a while ago if i knew what i know now, what do they say about hignsight lol

Who ever thought of the dancing cow, i owe you a drink too!! lol:biggrin

10. tallphil

tallphil Bit Poster

I'm using 6th edition (the one that covers 2006 exams601-604).

WIP: A+