A+ done, N+ on the way....

Discussion in 'Network+' started by miflandia, Nov 24, 2009.

1. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

:cry:
    Hi
    I decided to order the Mike Meyers Book for the Network + as it helped me to get the A+.
    I am still keen to learn, but today i had look around in the job market, and i found nothing.Couple of jobs just above the minimum wage. :ohmy
    Originaly i planed to change as soon as i can get any it job. But looks like i have to wait and learn.
    The other hand even if i pass every exam i still not going to have ANY real life experience. So crappy situation.
    But i will not give up:):twisted:
    Any idea, experience, advice????
    thx
    ps: Because we do not just collecting certifications, do we??:)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Gotta start somewhere. You can't start out administering servers and networks for big bucks.

The only way to gain experience is by working in IT. As you have correctly determined, simply grabbing more and more certifications isn't gonna do it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Yes, but the main problem the jobs i found (sorry the wages) can not beat even an hgv driver wage. And that is a bit annoying. Because i know how much effort i needed to get both "cert or licence". So it is a bit unfair. So i am aiming to get an it job with a wage of an average hgv driver( at least)....
    That does not mean i would not like to go deeper like system administering( as you wrote), i know i cant start there, but financial side is important as well. Iwant to move forward not back. That is going to make it much harder i think.

4. BosonMichael

Well, you've just encountered the reason why many people don't end up making the switch into IT.

Allow me to turn the scenario around. Let's say I wanted to go into marketing (or anything!) after working in IT for about 12 years. Do you think I'd be able to get the same salary as someone who has been in marketing for 12 years? Of course not... I'd probably have to start at the bottom and work my way up.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Look at it another way.
    In 10 years time an HGV driver will still be earning roughly the same wage as they are now (compared to the cost of living). Someone in IT could be earning significantly more, with potential for even more in the future.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. BosonMichael

And that's why it's worth making the switch - not for the short-term loss, but for the long-term gain.

Repped.

7. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

That is why my freind I definatley will be completing my switch to IT because I would struggle to find a job that pays less than what I'm currently on :(

Miflandia I'm currently on £12,000 and it doesn't even cover my basics anymore... I would quite happily change to an IT job starting on £12,000 because if your that eager to get into IT you will realise you will be on slightly less BUT! your going to be doing a job you enjoy (I would assume you enjoy it if your trying to get into the IT Industry :rolleyes:) so put up with the lower wage to begin with then reap the rewards in a couple of years to come :biggrin pretty much what soundian said :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I can only speak from my own experience but I went from £13333 as a trainee mainframe operator to £26999 in 1 year. That was 10 years ago. I'm not trying to promote unrealistic expectations, merely saying this is what happened to me personally. I remember the figures because I thought they were a bit random. I was so happy I'd found a career I loved I gave it my all and the rest is history as they say.

That said the older you get the more likely you are to have a mortgage, bills, debts etc so if its going to mean you have no life at all you will either have to build up some savings or take a second job to get you through until you can try and work your way up the ladder.

I wish you luck what ever you decide
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

27Gs at 20, very nice! Bet you were loving it at that age!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Before I made the switch across to IT, I was in a dead-end shop workers job that paid £11,500 a year.

My starting wage in my first IT job was just £10,500, and it was 18 months before I received a pay rise that bettered my previous wage.

We all have to start somewhere, and in my experience the short-term pay cut was well worth it in the long run.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. JK2447

Oh Bri I thought I was a millionaire mate. I was 21 when I was on that. Had an apartment, 2.5 litre V6 car (2 grand a year insurance!). Good times for sure. Over the years you grow into your wage tho don't you. I'm on the most I've ever been on and feel poorer than when I was 21 ha ha I've been very fortunate and appreciate it.

Notes Bloke - I bet you are on a lot more now than you could ever have earned in your previous career

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  12. Notes_Bloke

Absolutely!

Even if I'd made it to store manager I wouldn't have been on what I'm on now. Plus the hours would have been crappy:rolleyes:

NB

13. JK2447

So you are proof that sometimes taking one step back can result in taking ten forward! And by the sounds of it, your work/life balance is all the better for it :biggrin

14. Notes_Bloke

Yes and yes.

The shop working job was permanent night shifts, and at the time my life seemed only to consist of work and sleep.:rolleyes:

NB

15. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Your life consisted of work and sleep... hmmmm :eek: that sounds familiar!, with MY LIFE! :(
    Kind of motivates me more to get these exams done for the A+ and other Microsoft ones I'm working towards!!!!

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  16. Notes_Bloke

Yes mate, go for it!

NB

17. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I really would like to thank your answers and advice.
    I would not give up learning because i always loved to work with computers and my job is a real dead end job. (With fairly good wage) But i am bored to death.
    I have some IT(computer shop, service) experience anyway, but from a different country and 5-6 years ago. But when i moved here i had to start somewhere and because i have the hgv license that was the easiest way to start(with a good wage), but just years later i realized, i stuck here.
    So that would not be a big deal, but next April i going to become a father, so that giving me an extra responsibility:)8) :biggrin
    So i have to get around that money problem, i have got a couple of ideas like:
    Keep the job i have, and get a part time IT job and than change.
    The other option(that is where i going to start), i going to see the company HR manager where i currently work and i ask her if i have an option to change within the company, either part time or full time. (I thought it is a good idea because they know me personally).
    And i found a couple of places around here(uxbridge) where probably i can start.
    Currently working on my cv and the cover letter.
    So next week i going to start the applying, if i can not get nothing, that still not a tragedy because i still have my job.
    I will let you know if i get something.
    And thanks for all the help.

18. JK2447

You are very welcome. Best of luck, Jim

19. Notes_Bloke

Good luck:D

NB

20. BosonMichael

Both of those are good options to pursue.