A day in the life of a consultant

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dales, Apr 5, 2010.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

Just been looking round the jobs boards as I do every so often and wonder if any consultants here can give me an idea of what they do. Usually all I see of consultants is my boss telling us we have productx being installed because its cheapest, in they rock install productx with a very vague instruction on how it works off they go again leaving us to clean up the mess and shoehorn the product into our infrastructure. I have wondered occasionally about moving over to the dark side of consulting but would like to know a bit more about the stuff I dont see that you do.

From my experience consultants are sent into install a product after the sales guy has done his thing, what actually do you guys do when your not crusing around the counties and on customer sites!?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

That doesn't sound like a very appropriate way for a consultant to do his work.

At Microsoft Consulting Services, we work hard to provide a unified experience for all of our customers that takes into consideration their scope of expectancy and the delivery of the project as was agreed within our work order.

We do not just hand over a project once we've done our side of the work order. We must take into account our customers satisfaction as well as their skills. We have a very thorough manner in which we achieve full communication with our customers and documentation is an extremely important part of this.

It is unfortunate if you are not getting the expected results from whichever consulting company you are dealing with. At the very least, they should be able to hand off a project with full documentation and an appropriate process that makes you confident in what you will be undertaking next (often from a technology you may now know well, and will need to learn as you go on).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not all the time. In most cases we are approached to install a particular product or take on a migration project to help out the in-house IT guys.

We have ditched our sales guys and now the Technical director and myself do all the consultancy and pre-sales consultancy work. For example for a potential new support contract I will audit the network and make recommendations to how the network can be improved. The technical director will translate this into what products are needed and then we go from there.

When new projects are not rolling in I am generally at meetings with existing customers. For example I am attending some website development meetings this week as some web companies are coming in to present what they can offer etc. and I need to be there to basically be the IT department as their whole IT support is outsourced to us.

Other than that I often look in at what is happening back at base with the support side of things and make sure everything is ticking over ok. This is basically going through helpdesk stats and getting feedback from customers. Any major issues are escalated to me and this can often involve contacting additional third parties to get the problems resolved.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Actually that sounds pretty interesting sparky, I have often thought about consulting makes every day different I guess, It's just that my experience of consulting and the whole buying a product thing is I think a little negative(prob due to the fact that we always not matter what buy the cheapest product (public service you see gotta save them pennies) and the sales guys I have spoken to always seem to be very similar to an dog based insurance advert and the consultant turns up and realises we run mainly netware and linux boxes (the looks on their faces are always entertaining).

Might add that to my list of options on the job boards then.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As long as you work for the right company then it’s a good gig. I have seen some fairly poor networks over the years as I have often been approached to do an independent audit as the customer would like a second opinion on the condition of their IT infrastructure.

Things vary from poor network admin, no backup checks and some infrastructure that isn’t needed. In some cases the customer had paid for products that they didn’t even have!!

Even though this is good for us (as a company) as we generally pick up these networks and get things sorted it’s not good for the IT industry as a whole with dodgy consultants and support companies not doing their jobs properly.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs