A couple of networking Q's

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Aureilius, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Hi all.

At some point I'm hoping to tackle the N+ , so I'd like to set up a simple 2 comp home network & 'mess around' . Well I don't have the cash at the mo' to set up a wireless network & I don't need net access at this moment in time.

The Q's are;

1) could 2 bluetooth connections make for a viable network?
    I just need one computer to see the other one at the mo' , nothing too complicated! :)

2) I want to get some wires & connectors to get some 'hands on' experience with putting cables together, I'm in the Croydon area, can anyone recommend any decent wholesalers in the area? (i'm not exactly sure how I'd word a google search on that one)

Thanks guys.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Try THESE guys, m8 - maybe help you ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, bluetooth is one of the technologies on the Network+ objectives so I suppose it's a valid option. As far as learning basic networking goes, you might get more mileage out of two PCs and a small 4-port switch. JMHO

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Thanks Trip, they're just about a mile away. I'll call them tomorrow.

I'm thinking sort of the same thing about the switch (well actually I hadn't considered it at all :) I was thinking of a hub.)

I saw a hub/switch debate here a couple of days ago. I think the switch won, I'll give it a re-read.

Anyway, I was thinking the bluetooth method because it'll be a week or so before I'll be able to get the switch, cables ,etc. I've already got one blutooth adaptor is all.

Probably give them both a go, since I'm planning on grabbing the cabling anyway, just being impatient, heh.

Cheers mate :)

Certifications: None
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I think the idea is that you aren't limited to one option. When you are learning networking, you learn it by configuring and reconfiguring your network in different ways and see what works and what doesn't. Start with Bluetooth and see how that works out. Take it apart and put together a wee little wired LAN. Play around with combinations. Break things and troubleshoot them. Most of all...have fun. :wink:

6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

What about just a simple crossover cable and two nics to start off. A Cat5 network only minus the hub.

Been a while since ive bought a hub/switch but if price is a biggie i think you could get a simple hub for cheaper than you would get a switch - i could be wrong. A hub would be suffice as theres only 2 Pc's.

Neall

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I started with networking two PCs with a crossover so yes, it is a viable starting point. My next step was to buy an old 10MB (only) switch. Since most places run 10/100, the 10MB came cheap. Go shopping. I think you'll find small 4 port switches are more or less the same price as a small hub.

8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You sure about this one, trip? I have yet to find one like this so I don't think they're very common.... :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Depends on what you call cheap.

I would consider THIS to be reasonably priced for a test lab

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

If you mean a 10MB switch, I got it about 5 years ago so maybe they are harder to find now. :tongue

11. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

12. ffreeloader

LOL. Trip, show me a 10/100 MB switch, i.e an 80/800 Mb one, if one really exists. :twisted: :rolleyes: :p

I know. I know. It's a typo, but you've made it consistently for several posts now. Switches, routers, nic's, etc... are rated in megabits (Mb/s) and gigabits (Gb/s), not megabytes (MB/s) and gigabytes (GB/s). It's an important distinction to make. One is 8 times greater than the other.

I kept hoping you'd see your typo and correct it. :(

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Smarty pants. :dry

jk

:tongue

14. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

heheh ..thats our Freddie...good one LOL

So how are you going FF??

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  15. ffreeloader

Pretty good, supa. How's yourself? Good to see you. Still working hard and staying busy from your work load, or is it your kids that are keeping you busy these days?

As to correcting the MB, Mb thing, well, this is a forum devoted to newbies, and terminology gets confusing enough without having typo's of that sort left around to confuse people. I didn't correct it to be a smart a*s*s. I corrected it to make sure it didn't leave a wrong idea with a newbie.

I can't tell you how many times misinformation and people using the wrong technical term confused me when I was first learning this stuff. The typo trip made is no biggie for someone who's used the terminology quite a bit and understands it was a typo, but to someone who's just getting used to it, it can be a real mind bender sometimes.