A couple of N00bish questions (performance mon)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by warrmr, Sep 14, 2007.

1. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

ok first off ill give you a rundown of the spec of the machine

2gb ddr2 PC 4200
    1.7ghz Core Duo Mobile
    80gb 5200rpm hdd

the questions i have are why

when transferring a 3gb file across the network, in performance monitor does it say im only using 50% of my network bandwidth and its transferring at 34mbits.

the second is i have gobs of ram, and i use around 50-60% of it so surely there should be no page faults. normally i get around 3-5 per second this seems reasonable but when im gaming this shoots up to around 50-100 per sec. memory usage is around 70-80% when the page faults shoot up.

i know its not a real big issue and its not causing any problems. im just interested to know.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Umm.... why would you be using your Graphics Card bandwidth whilst transferring files?

If you meant the Network bandwith, then you arent always going to use full bandwidth really. It depends on the machine sending the data and receiving the Data. As I recall, with TCP, the sender will send a single packet, which is in turn verified, before sending the next packet, so this slows down data transfer (but ensures complete transfer without corruption).

I think that Windows puts various apps into the Paging File regardless of how much memory is being utilised, but I could be wrong. This kind of thing isnt my area.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

yes i meant network bandwidth, i was thinking one thing while typing the opposite.

and i thought if you were transferring files then you would use at least 80-90% of the bandwidth available. especially when the network is quiet 2 machines sitting idle and 2 sending files to eachother

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security