A couple of mcdst questions

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by rob731, Dec 13, 2009.

1. rob731

rob731 New Member

Hi there,

Having just done the CompTIA A+ i'm now looking to do a MCDST, I've seen its made up of two exams - Exam 70-271 and Exam 70-272 ...now is it the norm to do both exams in the same day? Like the A+ is made up of two exams, one for hardware and one for software? Or is it better to study for one of them then go for the other later on? I've noticed that all the course material on Amazon, books etc are designed for both exams? Is it that the books are broken in half, fist half for one exam and second for the other or is it that all the course material is jumbled up and you just do both exams one right after the other?

Many thanks,

Rob :)

2. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Hi

They are treated as two separate exams with different subjects 70-271 is all about troubleshooting Windows XP OS and 70-272 is all about the applications on windows XP but some questions are similar. you will have to book each exam separately I would not recommend you do them both in one day most people pass 70-271 then take 70-272 a few month later so your target will be to study for one exam at a time i would not recommend you study both at the same time

and no the study material is not jumbled up so study throught one book per exam :)

if you pass 1 Microsoft exam you become MCP and 2 = MCDST

Good Luck :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It's entirely upto you if you do both on the same day.

THe MS press books are titled 70-271 and 70-272 respectively i.e one book covers 70-271 and the other covers the 70-272 you can get by study kits from which include books for each exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. AndreK

AndreK Bit Poster

Well you could do both exams in a day if you know your stuff, there is also abit of a cross-over in topics for in both exams.

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

to be honest, it's entirely up to you, but unless time is of the essence I would spread them. the mcdst in my opinion is the 270 split in two so not a bad idea to concetrate on the objectives on one, pass and then take the other.

Good luck whatever you decided.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. rob731

rob731 New Member

Thanks guys this has been a big help! Think i'll go for one at a time cheers :)

edit: Oh one other thing, say I do one exam, pass it then come back to do another, will i get an MCP certificate at the end of the second one or do they give out the MCDST Certificate? Assuming its Microsoft that keeps track of what you've passed and not the test centre if you were to go to a different centre for the second exam?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You will be an MCP for passing one of the exams and then *also* a MCDST when you pass them both.

Microsoft no longer send out certificates as such, though i believe you can download one you can print out from the MCP site, once you are qualified.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. rob731

rob731 New Member

Afternoon all,

I passed my 70-271 exam today in Brighton!! with a pass mark of 766 so just passed it! So very pleased! :) But now I have three questions...

I'm just updating my C.V now and have a couple of questions, do you guys put the whole title of the exam on your C.V's? e.g Microsoft MCP 70-271 Supporting Users & Troubleshooting a MS Win XP Operating Sys etc or do you just assume that an employer knows what it entails and put MCP 70-271 only (might seem like a trivial question but I've had a lot of jobs and space on my C.V is precious ;) )

And secondly, once you've done the 70-272 exam and hold both MCP's to create the MCDST, do you put all three qualifications down or just simply the MCDST?

And lastly, do you think is it good etiquette to use the MS logo on your C.V? I already have the Comptia logo on there but wonder if filling it with pretty pictures is a bit much?

Many thanks,

Rob :)

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I just put MCP 70-271 on mine then when I passed the 70-272 I deletd it and put MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!