A+ Core hardware exam help needed!

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I comepleted reading Mike Meyers book. And I took the practice exams on the CD ROM that came with the book. I passed all 3 exams with above 80% percent scores, but when i try to pass the same exam Core Hardware in another A+ Testing Program I got called "Test Out" I wasnt not able to pass it and found it to be much more difficult than the A+ hardware practice exams that came with the Mike Meyers CD ROM. I had planned to take Core hardware exam after passing the Mike Meyers core hardware exams but now after taking the A+ hardware exams in Test Out I see that I still need more time to prepare. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. law123

law123 Byte Poster

http://www.free-tests.com/comptia-aplus-test.cgi

Give this site a try as you will see there is hardware and software exams.

Good luck

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My experience was that my actual scores in the A+ exams were slightly lower than that from the Meyers books. I don't know "test out" but if they are so wildly different from Meyers I would want to know why.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Professor-Falken

So what should I do ? If I pass the all Mike Meyers Practice Exams and Final Exams am I ready? I thought after going through the whole book and taking the exams I would be ready? But again I went to my IT training school and New Horizons and took a sample hardware test and didnt pass. I need more advice I really just want to stick to the Mike Meyers book. But the exams on the CD or so easy compared to other exams that I dont trust them to be enough to pass the exams.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Professor Falken

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I never considered an 80% score on practice exams a suffiecient level of knowledge to think I was prepared to take a real exam. I always wanted a level of comfort so I'd study until I could get 98-100% on any and all practice tests before I'd take my real test. I have yet to fail one of the real exams so I think my system works pretty well.

If I were you I'd spend some money on Transcender's or SelfTest Software's practice tests. They are the best approximation of what you will see on the real Comptia tests.

If you're not a native English speaker the difference in the subtlety of the wording of the questions between Mike Meyer's questions and those from your IT trainer may have something to do with this too. It would also affect my assessment of what I think you understand and don't understand, because if you're not real comfortable with English because then you wouldn't be able to communicate as well as a native English speaker. So, don't take my assessment of your knowledge too seriously. I'm notoriously opinionated.... :biggrin

Not understanding the wording of the questions would be a real problem for you on the Comptia tests too as they are designed to confuse the reader as to what is really being asked. Mike Meyer's questions are written very simply and that's one reason why you may not be having as much trouble with his questions. It's also the reason I don't recommend them as practice questions.

Comptia's, Microsoft's, Cisco's, etc... test questions are designed so that someone who isn't good at taking tests and doesn't understand the nuances of the written English languge will really struggle with them. I would recommend that anyone who can should take any of these tests in their native language. It will be much easier for them to pass and a truer test of their technical knowledge, rather than being a test their English language skills.

If you are a native English speaker and have good reading and writing skills then, in my opinion, you probably need to spend more time hands-on to perfect your skills. That's based only on what you've written here so I may be completely wrong....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Professor-Falken

Thank for your advice!

Professor Falken