A+ confusion

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by monks, Aug 9, 2007.

1. monks

monks New Member

Greetings.
    I'm currently looking to take the A+ PC technician course but I have noticed that the same course from one website to another can range by £1000. What gives??

2. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

have you considered doing the self-study route? all you need is the trusty mike myers A+ all in one and your own PC lab setup. It will be a lot cheaper this way at least for the A+

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What Dominoe said

I am self studying for the A+ with the All in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers (make sure you get the 6th edition)

I am also using another book Pc Technician street smarts by James Pyles (Tripwire 45)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't need courses. Self-study is the way. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with BM it worked for me and many others, plus you save a lot of money.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

If you are determined enough, self study isnt a problem for CompTIA's A+ :)

I did self study for my A+ and CCNA. I will also be buying some books for my MCSE :)

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

While a lot of members here will advocate self-study some people prefer a classroom environment to learn in.

My advice would be to seek you local college to see if they are doing the A+. many are these days and it's normally fairly cheap (cost me £180 for the exams and registration at my local years ago).

I wouldnt trust some of the trainig companies you see advertised on the net or TV as these tend to be out to make money and tarinig material can range from poor to non-existant.
    (see else where on this forum for topics onthose)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree. My only response to that is... once you're in IT, you must continue to learn... and most companies won't pay for you to take a training course, nor will they allow you the time off to take the course. If you don't learn to self-study now, you may be forced to learn how to self-study later.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!