A+ Certified ??. Did You Get A Job/Payrise ?

Discussion in 'A+' started by mug2k, Apr 15, 2006.

1. mug2k

mug2k New Member

Hi Guys

A little about me then onto the main question. I'm already pretty handy when it comes to fixing PC's with either software or hardware problems. I regularly help out friends/family when they have computer probs. Its been next to impossible to get a support job because everyone seems to want experience. That said I've decided to do the A+ to give me a better chance of getting a support role and hopefully progress from there. I'm gonna grab that Mike Myers book that everyone raves about and the CBT Nuggets Vids.

Now onto the main question, I'm guessing a handful of the regular posters are already A+ Certified (well done). Basically what I want to know is how have you faired on the job front since you became certified ?. I just want to hear about your experiences and maybe a few success stories :biggrin

Look foward to hearing from ya 8)
    Marcus

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi there. I don't think you should rely solely on the A+ to get you a position, you may get lucky but it is only an entry level qualification, though an important one to have IMO. Are you UK based? If you are I would say the A+ is equivalent to a GCSE (anyone feel free to disagree :) ), I don't know what a US or other equivalent quali. is but GCSEs are the last piece of compulsory education in the UK, normally done between the ages of 14 and 16. It certaintly won't do you any harm to have an A+ but I haven't seen many jobs that only require it and no other, more advanced certs.

I got a £250 bonus at work for passing my A+ and I also get a bonus for any other relevent certificate I earn.

As for your choice of training material - can't fault it :D .

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yeah, I have a few certifications, but to tell the truth I don't think they played much of a role in my getting job. They could have as we have a MS centric LAN at work but do have a Samba server, but the main part of my job is working with Linux and other open source products, and I don't have any certifications in Linux, just skills.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't agree with that comparrison myself. The A+ as well as being a professional certification is more vocational than a GCSE. I just don't think you are comparing like with like here ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I'm lucky enough to be working in an industry that now relies on connectivity and demands at least a working knowledge of all things IT,hence my studies towards my A+,N+ and S+.When I announced my intentions to sit the A+ and N+ certs I was awarded a substantial wage rise (before I've actually sat the exams,go figure!!) and have been fortunate enough to get some voluntary work with a local PC repair clinic.

From my experience the A+ is considered a worthwhile and valuable certification which is recognised and respected in the eyes of many potential employers.On completion of my exams I will be moving from my current role to that of an IT support engineer (whipping boy to start with I'd hazard a guess) with my current employer,but ONLY after passing A+ and N+.

There are many views on the relevance and status of these certifications and I'm pleased to say that most of those views,in my experience anyway,have been positive.

Gaining your CompTia certifications can only help with your search for employment within the IT arena and ANY experience within this field is important,be it paid or unpaid.

Well done on making the decision to follow your certs and I hope all goes well for you.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I def think A+ no where near to GCSE standard. I did a PC Maintainance course a few years ago, and they said that was equiv to A Level and i definately know that A+ is way more diff than PC Maintainance...

7. Baba O'Riley

What are you saying there Cheek? That you think an A+ is worth more than an A-Level? I wouldn't say that, A-Levels take two years of full time study, an A+ can be done part time in less than six months.

Fair point Modey, perhaps a GNVQ would be a better comparison.

Of course, at the end of the day, what qualification is worth more comes down to whilch is more helpful to you.

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

just to let you know - universities (well the ones i applied to) considered my A+ and MCP as professional qualifications - you cant compare them to A level, GCSES or any other higher qualification... which makes alot of sense if you think about it..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm with Zimbo on this one.

Academic qualifications, be they GCSE, GNVQ, Degree or other, are tested in a different method to Professional certifications, that is they involve other methods of assessment than an examination.

It is simply not possible to compare certs to an academic equivallent. That said, a number of schools are now offering Cisco's IT Essentials course (A+ Level) as an option to students rather than GCSE's. However I have not seen any reference to say that 'this course is the equivallent of 'x' GCSE's.

I think that ultimately what you compare them to is up to the individual, yes you can do the A+ in six months, but it all depends on the prior experience that you have how long it takes to do the course.

Just on a side note I would compare a cert such as the MCSE as being the equivallent to an honours Degree, because of the skill level you are expected to have over your subject, hbut if you use it to get into a university they do not class it as such.

8)

10. Baba O'Riley

I would expect nothing else, universities only recognise academic qualifications endorsed by the govt (in the UK anyway), however, some might look at having them as an advantage over other candidates. I wasn't trying to compare them - like you say, IT certs are professional qualifications - however, as everyone has experience of GCSEs (or the regional equivalent) and not everyone will have an idea of what's required to gain a cert, it helps to give them an idea of the intellectual level, general knowledge and time required to complete these certs. As you can earn up to ten or eleven GCSEs in two years of full time study, I think earning an A+ in four to six months of part time study fairly equivalent.

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would say that certs and experience go together. Don't forget working for friends and family counts as experience :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. mug2k

mug2k New Member

I'm sorry if I sound rude but could you stay on topic as this thread has gone in a completely different direction. I just wanted to know how your A+ has affected job/job search. I didn't ask to compare professional certs to academic ones.

:oops:

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

like boyce said experience is everything... your a+ might not land you in job totally but it will help. I think you should look for upaid experience if you stuggling to make the break into the market.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I was already in a IT job when I passed the A+ exams so I can’t answer the first part of your question. It did contribute towards a pay rise though.

Certification can help in your job search. For example if you applied for a job at a IT company that provides IT support for other companies then being certified is an advantage as many clients request certified IT support staff. As the other guys have said experience is also a *big* advantage on your C.V as well though.

Best of luck with the job search 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. crafoo

crafoo New Member

My A+ cert helped me bag a job, basically a mate of mine mentioned that there was an IT Support job going where he worked. Purely on knowledge alone I wouldn't have got the job (not because I didn't know enough just because I had nothing to back it up) and the fact I was working in a non related IT job before hand and had no experience of working in IT wasn't really helping, so for me to be considered I needed to pass the exams and get my cert (which I did :biggrin ) I then went strolling in and bagged myself the job :rocks

Not got anything in progress at the moment but I'm giving serious consideration to the N+ then possibly working towards Microsoft Certification.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST 70-271 70-272
  16. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

IMO try not to think of A+ = job / pay rise. I see it as, one stepping stone on a career path. A+ is a industry standard professional qualification, but it is only an entry-level one.

Look to certify the skills you already have and then take more certs as your professional career progresses.
    Sure you can charge more per hour or ask your boss for a rise, as it does show that you have aptitude, but just don't expect it.
    I took my A+ 4 weeks ago and I've booked on the Network+ N10-003 exam next Wednesday. After that I have me some 70-270/70-215 studying to do... that is my continuing professional development.
    I aim to be MCSA by the end of April this year and that's when I expect to get some decent work offers.

Good luck
    :)