A+ Certified and working as a DST, what next?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Dazimus, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Dazimus

Dazimus Bit Poster

As the topic says really, I'm A+ certified and I'm currently working for a large company as a Desktop Support Technician. I've been in this role since August 2007 and was going to start on the MCDST but is this the best qualification for me at this time?

Is MCDST only worth getting if people are intending to work as a DST, or just started? And is it worth doing an XP exam now with Windows 7 out shortly, meaning that XP will be really old news?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Its worth doing, loads of busineses still use XP, and that isnt going to change anytime soon, it would be a natural segway into doing the MS certs and would enchance your ability to do your current job. Also with the MCDST you can do an upgrade exam to turn it into the vista certified one (I can't remember the new style ones) but the option is there.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I agree with GingerDave. Xp is still deffo worth doing. Even more so because of the recession. Many companies plans to upgrade past XP will be in the bin for a long while. The MCDST is highly thought of in our place and will ease you into further Microsoft study. I think it can be used towards an MCSA too 8)
    Cheers, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Dazimus

Dazimus Bit Poster

Cheers :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

It can indeed be used as a elective towards the MCSA, the other requirements are a client exam like 70-270, a server exam 70-290 and the beast - Network Infrastructure 291.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think the MCDST is worth it. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!