A+ Cert to employment?

Discussion in 'A+' started by cr_eepy, Oct 26, 2005.

1. cr_eepy

cr_eepy New Member

Hi all,

I'm a bit new to all this!

I'm currently looking into A+ and right up to MCSA courses, I dont currently work in I.T. I've had my Computeach chat and I'm a bit worried about the cost and by comments found in forums so I'm looking at self teaching.
    Not really sure how easy its going to be as I have a limited knowledge of I.t.(only to GCSE standard really).
    I would also like to know the best way to get my step on the ladder in the industry as I presume experience means a lot too, which I definitely won't get by self teaching!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

firstly, welcome to Certforums!

secondly you'll find heaps of threads concerning computeach and traing providers in general if you use the search tab near the top of the page.

:tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

So was i not that long ago.! If you deisre to learn about computing, IT in general, certs and employment you have found the right place. Welcome, glad you found us :)

Good idea, in my opinion. There is a much info as your brain can "handle" out on the net, in Amazon book shop and this great forum.

The first step is definately the hardest. I am not in IT employment but voluntarily help out at a local business (in the hope of a job) one day a week. This for me is gaining valuble experience and adds to the CV too! Don't forget repairing machines for friends and family is work too!

Of course, there is always someone here to help out- you can always private message me if you want any advise you might not want to post.

Best of luck. Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is not necessarily true. I've had interviews where the fact that I've spent 3 years in a lab actually working through all the requirements for my certifications counted for quite a bit. Then I've had interviews where it didn't count for much. It all depends on the employer and the interviewer.

If they give you a chance to demonstrate skills self-teaching using books and a decent lab will count pretty heavily because you will be able to demonstrate that you know how to do the work.

I have no Linux certifications at all, but yet my Linux skills have come closer to getting me a job in the last few months than all my Microsoft certs have. That's because I'm able to demonstrate my Linux skills and talk pretty knowledgably about it.

To tell the truth I think self-teaching carries far more weight than many training providers names because too many of them get people to brain dump their way through the certification process. If you've taught yourself you have shown dedication, self-discipline, and a strong work ethic. All these things are very valuable in the eyes of many employers. It might not resonate as well with HR departments, but when you actually speak to people who know what they are talking about in IT being self-taught carries much more weight because they know what all is involved in what you have done.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. cr_eepy

cr_eepy New Member

Thanks for your advice guys!

Just ordered Mike Myers book last night to see how I get on!!

I also found another website called The Register, they claim to allow access to training guides etc for 100's of courses inc A+ and MCSE for a £100 a year subscription. Anyone know anything about them or if they are worthwhile?

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

is their url theregister.co.uk? :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. cr_eepy

cr_eepy New Member

yeah thats the one!!! any ideas?

8. moominboy

didn't eben know theregister offered training tbh!

you sure it's not an ad on one of their pages?

9. BriH

BriH New Member

Someone in the same boat as me! Welcome Cr eepy!
    We seem to have the same vanader too, or whatever it's called!

What's this Mike Myers book, and what does it cover?

Can anyone out there recommend some basic books to get started on?

(see my 1st post - i'm a real beginner!)

10. moominboy

11. cr_eepy

cr_eepy New Member

It looks like it is the register that does the course material, they even include a try before you buy!

http://training.theregister.co.uk/courses

Think i'll just wait til my Mike Myers book arrives before trying anything else!! Semms to be the most reccommended thing to try first!

Thanks Guys!

12. moominboy

i stand corrected!

13. BriH

BriH New Member

Thanks to all once again!!
    I'm heading on to Amazon for the Mike Myers book - I seen to have a browser prob that's not letting me use the link, but thanx for the thought!
    Will also be looking at the Applications links- thanks for those too - will be doing the feedback thing shortly - all good posts - all very helpful, and nice looking through the threads & stuff so many people coming in in the same position I was in!

Cheers guys, back soon!!!

14. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

That book helped me to pass my software exam.
    I would certainly recommend it. :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+