A Book in building pc's for beginners.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Casablanca, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

A colleague from work is planning to build his first computer, and has asked me to recommend a good book, something for beginners.
    I don’t really know what to recommend as I have not looked at a hardware book for year’s now. So I would appreciate it guys if you could help.
    :)
    Cheers.

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i have no idea, but from what i read from MM book, you can build a pc up with that... if that helps.... :oops:

3. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

MM = mike meyers ?

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

yeah - sorry - im referring to Mike Meyers All in One... :oops:

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Another excellent book

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

May I also suggest your colleague invests in a box of these:

[​IMG] :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yep plasters will be a good investment indeed....:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

A book isn't really needed. I learnt just by getting stuck in and building.

Main things to remember are:

All connectors are designed to fit one way round and that those that will fit the other way round (ie IDE cables that do not have the key for whatever reason) will not cause any damage.

Cases seem to be supplied with 2 types of fittings for the Motherboard. Choose the brass screw fittings if available.

Fit the Motherboard first.

Touch all componenets by the edges.

Default BIOS settings are normally adaquate for any normal configs.

If its choice of components thats an issue then any book would be out of date within a week of release.

WIP: A+
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its not that easy mate :biggrin

What happens if he gets a SATA drive, will he know how to load a SATA driver when buildng the PC? Also if he fits a SATA power and molex power source into the one HD there will be a bang!

Will he know how to set master and slave on any IDE drives?

If he gets the PC up and running will he know how to update the graphics card driver so it runs at a better res?

Fair enough you can throw many parts into a PC case these days and get the PC up and running but it wont be the greatest build in the world! :biggrin

Whatever happened to the days when you had to set the IRQ manually on some devices? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

agh suppose lol.

Too many things I take for granted and just do without thinking.

I still wouldn't justify spending much on a book though, A little guidance is all thats needed. I doubt you'd come ccross anything that someone wouldn't have come across before.

Your comment on setting IRQ's is scary as I've just read the expansion bus chapter of the MM ALLin1 for the third time and I still can't get it in my head and yesterday I had a ISA modem to install = nightmare.

WIP: A+
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Casablanca, I notice you are studying for 70-218 and you have already passed 70-216. A little word in your shell like, just go and sit the exam, if you can pass 216 you will breeze 218 and hence you are wasting time IMHO. 218 is a bit of a gimme after 216. I didn't study at all for 218 and I passed it no problem, you will do the same. 218 covers more or less the same topics as 216 but in no where near as much depth.

Go for it!!!

As for your mate, I would recommend he buys a bare bones system rather than trying to start from scratch. If he doesn't have any passed experience or training, he is likely to end up with a FUBAR system :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)