A bit of a taste.

Discussion in 'Networks' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 21, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

On Saturday I got a bit of a taste in the IT world.

The IT department were migrating over to a new domain and also replacing the old cisco switches, I was asked to stay on after I had the normal early morning paper produced until 1.30pm, however things did not go as planned.

After I had the paper out and it had been printed and was on its way to the shops & news stands I had to wiped all data from the paring and quadding system (pairs and quads the pages of the paper together) next I had to clear all data from the big hp proofers and clear up any proofs that were lying on the floor (as they never go in the bloody collection tray under the proofer.:blink

Then I had to wait for network guy to come form our sister site at Barrow as that place was being changed over first for some crazy reason, I was apparently to wait until 1.30 for him but there were problems at Barrow which was a quel suprise moment as that place has more problems than a mental institute.

He eventually turned up at 5pm and I got to change over a few Cat 5 cables and Cat 6 cables in the server and help replace a new Cisco hub, there was a couple of issues with the IT guys not having documentation for certain ports that they now needed to use.

There was also an issue with the dedicated FTP boxes IT had forgotten to put in a request to BT to allow them to be within acceptable firewall policy settings :blink So they had to create a script to use IE instead of the software we usually use for FTP.

I got on with my testing after all that was sorted, checked the rips were receiving data from editorial, from holding queues and also checked that the data was transferring from the ftp boxes. Tick Tick Tick on my little list. Next I had to check that when test pages paired and quaded up that they actually produced an image onto the aluminum plates and also produced full colour proofs.

Tick Tick Tick again on my little list, full functionality of the new network has been observed in my department anyway.

Testing took about 3 hours and I was out at 8:05pm, got some thanks from the IT director and IT manager for helping out hopefully it will have given me a bit of kudos if not I can always put it on my CV and hope it helps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Welcome to IT! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

yep I figured things would be like that, I wouldn't have been bothered but the usually quiet pub that is litterally 20 meters across for my house decided to stay open untill 5 minutes before I had to get up, I had one hour sleep.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ekk! :ohmy

At least this will set you up for IT in the future when servers go down and you have to work through the night, Ive done that a few times and had to sleep on the floor of the server room. Yes, it was cold! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee

I couldn't sleep in our server room the fans would do my nut in, if I actually got an IT job at my work the IT room is next to the server room so I could sleep in there :rolleyes:

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It never does. :biggrin

Congrats, bro!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee

Cheers hopefully something good will come of it.