A bit confused

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gunner81, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Gunner81

Gunner81 Bit Poster

Hi guys,
    I have been applying for Level 1 Helpdesk roles and I recently have an interview for an entry level Helpdesk job next week. If I do get this job I would definitely get the experience I require to move on. Currently I am working as a tech support but in a telco company dealiing with landline issues of the customer. If I do this I would get proper IT Helpdesk experience dealing with networks and computers.

The only issue is that if I do get this job compared to my current job I would be going for a pay cut...say of around 10K. I am a bit confused about this but then again I wouldn't be doing this all my life... I know its a bit soon to think about this as I havent even had an interview yet. Just wanted to know what you guys would have done if you were me?
    Thanks

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: Network+, MCITP
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

That's a hefty pay drop.

Can you afford to live on that wage for 2 years?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately that's always the issue when you move trades (which essentially you are), you pretty much have to start at the bottom of the ladder and climb it again.

I know it's not what you want to hear but you may also have to look at a second job (bartender, waiter etc) to suppliment your income until you're at a point where you're primary job salary is back to where it should be.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA