A+ and Vista questions again!

Discussion in 'A+' started by G_uk, Mar 16, 2009.

1. G_uk

G_uk Bit Poster

Apologies for bringing this up again guys as I know sparkey77 recently raised the issue.

I've been helping some people through their A+ over the last few weeks and Vista seems to be a cause for concern.

One guy failed his 601 a few weeks ago and said that he had a lot of questions on Vista. I told him they were probably beta questions for the updated objectives for 2009 and obviously would not count towards his score. I promptly rechecked the CompTIA web-site to see if the exam objectives had been changed and no they had not!

Today three more guys I've been helping took theirs and again they all had several questions on Vista. Unfortunately one of the guys failed his 601. He asked one of the staff about the Vista questions and she assured him that the Vista question were scored and were not beta questions; furthermore she informed him that they have been using these questions for two months now!

I could do with some guidance on this please guys?

Thanks

2. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

there shouldn't even be 1 vista question in any exam,vista isn't part of the a+ yet.
    I've taken 2 a+ exams in the last 11 months [one of which i took today] haven't seen 1 vista question to date.

Are they all complete beginners that are failing?

They may need a lot more study than people who are already familiar with most of the A+ topics,the beginners i saw needed about another 100 hours of personal tuition on top what everyone else was being taught.

xp is the main operating sytem for studying the a+.And i got windows xp questions today in the exam.

In my college the beginners got extra home work every week,and had to attend the whole course till the end,the experienced people finished the course early and didn't have to do homework every week.

I would look for practice exams which cover windows xp rather than vista.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I had one vista question but the fact that it involved vista did not matter as it was to do with hardware it was like one saying but im not actually quoting the exam "Mandy is using a windows Vista computer".

I did have a Mac osx question though

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. G_uk

G_uk Bit Poster

Congratulations on the pass del_port.

The course is a four week intense training course. I'm not so concerned about the course, as I am concerned about the wrong training material not containing any on Vista!

Now this woman at the testing centre, has specifically told them that they have been using Vista questions for two months that are being scored on!

Is it possible that this testing centre are using an early release of questions for the 2009 objectives?!

Does this need to be raised with CompTIA

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would find it a bit odd if you get tested on vista when no training material exsists to train you on Vista for the A+.

Obviously there could be questions like whats been said "Mandy is using a vista computer" but if goes into "how do you change the page file in vista?" I would be very suprised.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. G_uk

G_uk Bit Poster

I got the impression these were technical questions.

7. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Well i'd stay away from any vista practice exams if you are sitting the exam this year,xp is all i have been questioned on in the exam.

It can't do anyones confidence any good trying to answer vista questions that aren't part of the A+.

You can contact comp tia if you want,myself and GBL have done the A+ exams and didn't have to learn anything about vista to sit them.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  8. G_uk

G_uk Bit Poster

I didn't have any on mine either and the objectives on the CompTIA site still only relate to 2000 and XP

I think I need to contact CompTIA regarding this for clarification.

Thanks guys

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What in the world are they doing disclosing the contents of the exam, anyway? Doesn't that break the NDA? Not to mention your posting it on a forum... just sayin'.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. G_uk

G_uk Bit Poster

He couldn't remember the question just the gist of it. I certainly wouldn't let him have told me if he'd got any further with it.

11. BosonMichael

Still, if I reveal the gist of what I saw, I'm disclosing exam content.

I would be surprised if CompTIA was introducing Vista questions into the old version of the exam and scoring them. Remember, just because a question appears in an exam doesn't mean it's being scored...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. G_uk

G_uk Bit Poster

Point taken, original post edited.

I'm aware they aren't necessarily scored. But they were told specifically that they were and furthermore this training centre has been using them for two months.

Now I don't know if this person that works there got their facts wrong; but either way it's something that needs to be clarified for the people doing this course.

Thanks Michael

13. greenbrucelee

This person shouldn't have told you what was in the exam and that it was being scored.

14. G_uk

G_uk Bit Poster

If this person feels that they're being unfairly tested on subject matter that shouldn't be part of the exam. They need to air there concerns with someone.

Thanks for the clarification.

15. greenbrucelee

I meant the person who said tha they had been using vista for two months and that the questions were being marked They are not supposed to divulge that sort of info

16. G_uk

G_uk Bit Poster

My apologies, I misunderstood!

17. BosonMichael

How would they know? The training centers aren't told which questions are scored and which are unscored... the only ones that would know are CompTIA themselves, and they aren't telling. Why would they? That would compromise the integrity of their own exam!

18. BosonMichael

If they need to air their concerns, they need to talk to CompTIA... it's against the NDA for them to air their concerns about actual test questions with anyone else.

Not trying to jump on you, my friend... just don't want to see anyone lose their certifications because of an NDA breach. If you were to tell CompTIA that someone told you about some particular Vista questions that they saw on the exam, CompTIA probably wouldn't be too happy over that disclosure...

19. G_uk

G_uk Bit Poster

I'm aware you're not trying to give me a hard time BosonMichael :)

I can understand any student though, who has had an issue with an exam to go straight back to their trainer.

Thanks once again though.

20. BosonMichael

As long as CompTIA agrees with you, then that's great. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that CompTIA recognizes any sort of "student-teacher privilege". ;)

Anyway... just trying to keep everyone's certifications safe. :)

Best of luck getting to the bottom of your inquiry!