A+ 601 questions

Discussion in 'A+' started by Stuka, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

hi all,

I'm taking the 601 on the 24th of this month, I have a couple of questions which I'd like clearing up if possible. The books seem to condridict each other...

1. Firstly, what is the recommended RAM for XP? Meyers seems to think its 256MB, yet Jean Andrews material says 128MB...what is the correctly size?

2. Does the 601 2007 exam mean anything about modem AT commands, like ATZ etc..? is it worth revising the commands?

3. Is there any mention of Vista in the exam? I know that the 601 focuses on 2000/XP, but what about Vista?

Cheers all.

Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Always check the vendor Web site for stuff like this... looks like Andrews is right.

I don't see them explicitly mentioned on the exam objectives, but that doesn't mean they're not there.

I haven't used AT commands much at all in the past few years... though I did have to remember how to do +++ a few weeks ago!

I don't see any mention of Vista in the exam objectives. The new A+ exam was released before Vista was officially released.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Cheers guys. Looks like 128MB is the correct answer, then.

Also, I've tried to revise IRQ's and ATA hard drive speeds. Is it worth revising SCSI standards and I/o addresses?

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Is it in the objectives? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee

you don't need to go all the way back to ST-506 on the hard drives, if you have the the Mike Meyers book read the objectives on the objectives page or visit the compTIA web site as if I told you what you needed to know I could be breaking NDA rules.

7. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

hmm, the objectives I have just says "EIDE/PATA" under hard drives...I don't have the MM book.

8. greenbrucelee

where are the objectives from, you do need SATA knowledge

9. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Just that PDF from this site, thats where I found them.

I have SATA knowledge, whether its enough is another question, lol.

from what I know about SATA: up to 1 meter for the cable, better airflow than PATA, uses a serial bus, 150/300MB/s transfer rate, no jumpers needed...I hope thats enough!

10. greenbrucelee

does that PDF cover the current versions of the exams I never looked at it.

11. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

I don't know mate, all I know is that its the 2006 objectives, I think.

12. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

If you're talking about the .pdf link at the top of the A+ forum (zimbo's Exam Objectives thread), then, uh... :hhhmmm it does mention SATA in the 2006 objectives.

Just to check - we're talking about the 220-601 - aka "CompTIA A+ Essentials". If you look through the objectives, it's right there in objective 1.1 - the very next bullet point after "EIDE / PATA".

The only other thing I memorised about SATA is the pin count - 7-pin for the data cable, 15-pin for the power.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  13. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

it wouldn't really be fair to give you all the questions one by one for the exam,but if you think of technology,and how long ago people would be adjusting AT commands on their 33k and 56k modems ,around the year 2001, it isn't likely to feature in the exam.

The exam is full of modern questions rather than stuck in the past,and you do have to know less for the exam than you might assume.If you covered every possible angle and topic you'd wear yourself out mentally.

Vista is too new and won't be in the exams,it hardly gets a mention in the a+.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  14. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

15. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Regarding vista, it wasn't part of the teaching from June 2007 ,my course finished after xmas 2007 so i don't know when they are going to add vista to the teaching material.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  16. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have seen some stuff floating about the possible draft objectives 2009 which includes Vista.

As far as i know the Comptia A+ doesn't include Vista specifically. They may throw it in as a incorrect answer or something.

I have been going by the comptia objectives and cramsession objectives, .... don't know i'll finally find out next week :D

PS i have never used Vista, I doubt my PC will even run it well. :oops:

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  17. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

In my opinion, Vista really not as bad as people on line make it out to be. When I built this new family computer, I went with 64-bit Vista Home Premium just to get something new to work with. (My old laptop was 32-bit XP-MCE).
    Personally, I like it. It runs quickly - looks professional, and has some cool new usability features.

A grumble is that they've redesigned the tree structure for the user directories and where programs keep settings and such, which made it a bit tricky to get used to. Though I'm sure there's some advantage to it, so I'm not too upset!

My only actual complaint, is that in "upgrading" from Windows XP Media Centre -> Vista Home Premium, I've lost EFS! MCE supported file encryption - it made me feel better knowing that if someone pinched my laptop, my encrypted personal files wouldn't be up for grabs to the first person with a Linux Live distro that could mount the file-system.
    With the so-called "equivalent" Vista, that protection ain't there.
    It's annoying that MS just lobotomise useful parts of the OS, and call that a "home" system. And because some fella somewhere decided EFS was just a bit too useful to be in a home system, I can't protect my files this way any more. So I'm keeping all my personal files on the old notebook.

If I get another notebook - something that could be easily stolen - I'll have to 'downgrade' to XP-MCE just for the security - unless I'm feeling flush enough to shell out for the full Vista. A shame, because otherwise I'm quite keen on Vista.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  18. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I know its not the point, but i use truecrypt. But i used it with data I share on cd's and flash drives (membership database backup for a club..... the government should take a note out of my book :wink: ).

I am not really happy with 30 day evals so i have saved up for technet for when i move to the MS certifications.

I am going to have to upgrade my system, as its so old, its going to require a complete rebuild cpu, mobo, ram and graphics as i am still on AGP. But still i haven't spent money on a system build for years, so it will be fun.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots