802.11n Wifi Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Dave, May 19, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave Bit Poster

Hi there,

I found myself in an IT suite yesterday afternoon to perform some work with some Trainees. I attempted to connect my laptop to the suite's wifi and found that my laptop would not pick-up an IP from the DHCP, it simply stalled at 'Acquiring IP Address' and assigned itself an APIPA address. I tried assigning a static IP address that was not being used on the network also to no avail.

At home I use wifi but my router runs on 802.11g, the router in the IT suite in question runs on 802.11n. At first I thought that maybe my wifi card can't operate on 802.11n (it is spec'd for ABG although from my understanding 802.11n is backward compatible) as my laptop is about 3 years old now, however one of the trainees experienced the exact same problem with a 2 month old laptop.

My Laptop runs: Vista Home Premium 32 bit with an Intel / Pro Wireless 394ABG Wireless Network card
    The trainee Laptop was running: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on a 2 month old Acer

My question is has anyone here experienced this same problem before and have I simply overlooked something glaringly obvious to rectify it?

Thanks

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCP, MCDST, MCTA
    WIP: 70-290 & Linux+
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Just because his laptop is 2 months old, doesn't mean it is "n" compatible. and perhaps the router was set up to only operate in 'N' mode.

Did anyone connect successfuly? I presuming so since you attempted assigning a static address which you probably wouldn't have bothered doing had you not know what address range to choose from!

Last edited: May 19, 2010
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just about every time I've had that happen, I didn't have the right key.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Dave

Dave Bit Poster

Hi there,

Yep I had the correct key and out of the 12 Trainee's present only 1 Trainee was unable to connect along with myself of course - which made me think that maybe it was a configuration issue on the two laptops in question rather than a compatability one.

Never come across this issue before I have to say but thanks for your input, very much appreciated.

5. sirkozz

sirkozz Bit Poster

If your laptop was able to see the ESSID than the AP is configured for 802.11g, if it’s configured for n only than your g laptop would be unable to see it.
    If you aren’t getting an IP then something else is going on, more than likely an incorrect encryption key.
    The only other thing to check is the “advanced settings” tab under device manager.

Certifications: do expired ones count???
    WIP: CWNE/CCNA
  6. Dave

Dave Bit Poster

Hi Sirkozz,

I follow your reasoning there, I guess you are meaning that the encryption method maybe a possible issue with this problem - AES or TKIP?

This is something that I will try also (as I do need to get to the bottom of this issue as we are looking at making use of this suite on a regular basis for the Trainee's).

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.