70-686 Course material enough?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by subliminalsmurf, Aug 10, 2012.

1. subliminalsmurf

subliminalsmurf Nibble Poster

Hiya,

Aiming to do 686 before the end of the year (I have it pencilled in for November).

I have the MS book / Nuggets.

Still have the labs set up from the 680 so I'll be using those. I hear this exam is tougher than it looks.

Anyone got any advice on this pls to maximise the study time i've given myself.

Cheers guys,
    Rik.

Certifications: MCITP: Windows 7 Desktop Support Technician
    WIP: 70-686 - Started the same day as passing 680
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Same here. I'm starting this one next month and hope to get it finished by Dec/Jan.

Hmmm interesting. I heard that after the 680/685 combo it's an obvious progression and therefore quite straightforward. I'l be interested to hear how your studies/exam goes...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. subliminalsmurf

So far so good with the book and Nuggets although i'll be starting this properly next week. Spending a week with my daughter so won't get much chance.

I have 680/685 already so this should give me the other Win7 MCITP with three exams as 680 is a part of MCITP DST and MCITP Win7 Admin.

The main content in the book is only just over 400 pages so it's not the longest book to get through but some of the lessons are long. I've had a damn good flick through so I know what to expect.

I'll let you know if I get any more materials / study aides.

4. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hey,

I'm not sure about this one, as I realised afterwards I'd under-prepared. Basically, I had the Sybex/Darril Gibson 685/686 book. Basically I figured that since the 685 and 686 were covered by the same book, and I'd read the book cover to cover for the 685, then the 686 would be a freebie.

Personally, I feel that book is pretty good for the 685, but sorely lacking for the 686. There were a number of tools I'd never heard of and had to guess. Worse still, my final score indicated I must have been falling victim to plausible distractors (I was confindent of about 75% from other things I'd done, and had to guess the last 25% - I passed the exam quite narrowly)

I guess the point here ISN'T that it's massively difficult. Just that you should prepare properly and use multiple source if you want to comfortably pass any Microsoft exam.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
    subliminalsmurf likes this.
  5. subliminalsmurf

Cheers for the heads up. I might give myself a bit more time to prepare. :-)