70-680

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by ally_uk, Feb 4, 2010.

1. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Hello everyone I am currently studying for the 70-680 configuring Windows 7 exam.

I have just started reading the Microsoft Press Book and I am on the System Image deployment section which brings me onto my first obstacle, I want to get hands on and actually experiement with tools such as AIK, WinPE,MDT 2010, the only snag is I am running a unlegit version of 7. Now it states in the book that you must have at least two machines running windows 7, So does that mean I have to go out and buy two legit copies of 7?? just to pass this exam.

Or can I wing it and pass the exam just from reading the book? and not doing any of the labs covering the System deployment section? has anyone passed this exam? what would you reccomend

Many Thanks

2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

All windows os's have a 30 day trial period

just work within the trial.

Even the trial period can be extended a few times

To really get the most though you'd need a server environment. WDS etc

Is this your first exam? Whats you level of experience?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

This is my first Microsoft Exam, I have worked in I.T for about 6 years now have been using 7 for a few months. I am currently running a unlegit version of Ultimate problem is on the 70-680 exam there is a chapter devoted to system deployment so how can you create a image of Windows 7 using a cracked version or a evauation copy? it wouldn't work.

Has anyone passe this exam? if so what hardware setup and tools did you use? including software

Many Thanks

4. skulkerboyo

I'm familiar with the material as I'm taking this one next month

I'm lucky in that my company is happy to set up test rigs for study or experimentation by me

I have a server 08 box and two win 7 vms all running in VMware. I suppose if you had a powerful enough system at home you could do similar with free slutions like VBox. I dont recall whether the book makes any recommendations. I'm just sort of setting stuff up as it happens

I dont see why your thinking following the ms books instructions to make an image of a cracked system wont work unless your cracked version has limitations. I'd be unable to make recommendations as I always used licenced software

I reiterate that all versions of windows have a 30 day trial and as far as I know there are no limitations to the trials. I think this may be the best way to go or get your company to spring for a copy. Do they have software assurance? What kind of organisation is it?

Anyone else want to chime in?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Yoi could purchase or get your employer to purchase a Microsoft Technet subscription.

Failing that you could download the 90 day trial of W7 Ent.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. skulkerboyo

^^^^^Awesome. If 90 days dont do it nothing will

7. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Ally - it's been a couple years since I used VM, but one of the nice things was the ease of install and removal. Can just work on it till it expires, backup what you need, remove and resinstall. recover. Great for testing things out this way.

I'm going completely VM here. I still have the rusty old PC's here that I would spend hours on trying to figure out server2003 + clients. VMware seems such a luxory compared to having lots of old PC's knocking about. My friend has a decent i5 + ssd pc and a few vm clients on that run better than they do on my physical PC.

BTW, if you are about to dump and old pc give a local kids home etc a bell, I was able to dump mine at theirs to put to some good use.