70-680 = MCTS: Configuring Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by techmonkey, Jan 17, 2012.

1. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Greetings,

I just passed my Security+ exam and am moving on to my 70-680. Now, as I understand, the 70-680 is for MCTS: Configuring Windows 7. My question is, with the Comptia certs (I have A+, Net+, and now Security+) I took the test, passed, and got a nifty certificate and cert card in the mail about eight weeks later. Does the same happen with the 70-680? Because I know the 70-680 is a pre-requisite for MCITP, but is it officially a standalone certification? In other words, will I get a nifty certificate for my wall, a card for my wallet, and a big shiny "MCTS Certified" that I can put in my CV? Or is it simply a pre-req to MCITP? Thanks in advance!!

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+
    WIP: MCTS: Windows 7
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yes and no, yes you will be MCTS certified, no it's not a pre-req for an MCITP (MCITP SA for example doesn't require the 70-680 to pass to become an MCITP but the Enterprise Desktop Admin or Enterprise Admin MCITP's do).
    No you won't get a nifty certificate or wallet card from MS... unless you pay for it
    Yes you can put it on your CV as having passed the MCTS - Windows 7, Configuring.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

wow, well that covers it all pretty comprehensively hahaha. Thanks for the input. :D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+
    WIP: MCTS: Windows 7
  4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hey bro,

I recently passed this, and just to clarify the coolest thing... You do get a wallet card that you can add your own picture to :) thats pretty much the coolest thing about passing this exam. (Downside, you have to pay for the wallet card about $7 and it takes 8 weeks to get to the UK :/) However, this exam only costs £99 as a pose to the £160 that the comptia's cost.

Best of luck with passing :)

Regards, Brad

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Not quite true as it is downloadable and can be printed for free.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

thats not a nifty certificate, the nifty certificate (printed on decent paper right to the edge).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Fair point, they are a bit naff when self-printed so it is worth getting the 'originals' - but if you're taking multiple courses, wait until they are all passed as the price is high for the 1st one and much lower for the subsequent ones within the same order...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Hence I'm waiting until I've got my MCSE and possibly more before considering buying them!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293