70-680 : Deploying Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by shadowwebs, Sep 19, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

So, maybe I fell asleep or was very tired during a step of studying but I am a little confused and am sure someone out there had a similar problem and can remind me where I have gone wrong...

I have a VM with Windows 7 Ultimate installed, and then I have a second VM with Windows PE - ImageX running.

On the Win7 Ultimate VM, I have installed Adobe Reader & Adobe Flash Player

I keep the above running and use ImageX to take a capture of this which I store as "win7ult-lab.wim"

I take the .wim and put this in to Windows SIM, I create my autounattend.xml answer file which I store on my USB Stick and I take the boot cd and create a new VM to run from the boot cd & usb stick...

The installation went through fine with minimal prompts due to the answer file having all this information and using Sysprep at the end for OOBE.

Once I login as a new user, Adobe Reader & Flash Player are not installed, so I am presuming that the data in the .wim is not being picked up through the .xml, am I supposed to have the .wim on the memory stick as well, or where should this be stored during the installation as obviously the .wim that is being picked up is the one on the boot cd (install.wim)

As I have admitted above, I know where the problem is that it's picking up install.wim and not my own win7ult-lab.wim, but I cannot work out where it's supposed to be.

Cheers

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Your answer file should point to the .wim file that you created rather than the default one

Did you burn your new .wim to a disc ?

I usually do this using MDT2012 so not used the cd/dvd and key for a while

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  3. shadowwebs

Ah yes of course, now I think about it I did know that but wasn't thinking straight... I am going to start from scratch and point the .wim to the usb stick which is the same place as the .xml answer file.

Just a thought, if I have the .wim & .xml both on the usb stick, then I won't need the boot cd will i?

Sorry, it was a late evening and early morning

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. shadowwebs

without the boot cd i know its unattend.xml, with the boot cd its autounattend.xml, but with unattend.xml is the .wim file on the flash drive just to get it going?