70-680 Deploying Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by shadowwebs, Sep 12, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I have just watched the Professor Messer video on Deploying Windows 7, I am sure I followed step by step what he was doing but for whatever reason I didn't have the same result he had.

I am using Oracle Virtual Box, I created the XML using Windows System Image Manager, the XML I gave the file name 'autounattend.xml', I had the boot ISO selected in Virtual Box and had the USB stick which contained the XML also loaded. my XML is attached, and as this is my first attempt, I was expecting things to go wrong as this is where the learning curve then kicks in.

The XML is not loading I do not think, as instead of at least bypassing the language screen, it goes to the screen and wants me to pick a language even though the XML has this stated as EN-US (for the time being, I will change it to UK once I have at least got the basics going).

Any advice on where I am going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

Hmmm, not sure, but I'd look at this line:

I would have something like this:

Which would specify the drive letter where I have the WIM image. Maybe it doesn't like the fact that yours is within your 'user profile' area?

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Did you put the XML on the root of your flash drive?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. shadowwebs

Richy,

That's a good point, I didn't notice that so will update it accordingly and try again.

Soundian,

Yes I have the XML on the root of the flash drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking about it a little bit more... am i supposed to have the "install.wim" on the flash drive as well as the .xml file?

as the install.wim is on the boot cd under \sources\install.wim

could it therefore be the case of this:
    - If I am installing with the original install cd then the source path needs to point to the cd \sources\install.wim
    - If I am installing without the original install cd, then the install.wim needs to be on the flash drive as well as the source pointing to the flash device

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

It's just as easy for me to quote the Technet site:

So, therefore as you have said you are using "Autounattend", this would imply installation direct from the DVD, so I'd use the DVD-ROM drive as the drive letter as per my example earlier.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  6. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

are you sure the USB stick is visible for WinPE? Remember having issues with USB's in general with Virtualbox. there are some threads on virtualbox forum, for example:
    https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16080&start=0
    Kinda remember there is a way to bring up console during install - shift + F10 or sth like that

7. shadowwebs

I think I have confused myself a little by taking too much of a break between the first & second sections on the Prof Messer site, so I am reading now through the MS Press Book, although I may just skip to the practice exercise to start from scratch.

8. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I think it's a valuable thing to learn. I've just done the exam today, and I found a lot of answers in the exam from doing it and messing up. If you haven't taken in the first chapter, and forgotten it, then you probably need to go back and do it again (as you will need to anyway!)

9. shadowwebs

Ade, congrats with the pass today on the 70-680 and good luck for the 70-685... Which resources did you use for the 70-680?

10. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Many thanks. I am relieved.

Don Poulton's book, some of the Prof Messer stuff, labs and I also went on the course. The course wasn't a lot of help if I am honest, but that's a sore point at the moment.

For the labs in a VM environment, I had: 2 x Windows 7 installs, 1 x Server 2008 install (as DC / DHCP), 1 empty (for fresh install) and 1 x Windows Vista

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  11. shadowwebs

Which VM Environment have you been using? I am an Oracle Virtualbox man myself, but I know everyone is unique and doesn't really make any difference which environment is used for labs

12. livingwater

livingwater Bit Poster

I am just at the end of my study (I need to go back and start the revison) and if my memory serves me right the same thing that happened to me - i.e I had to enter the language - however the script seem to work on some of the other stuff so I just moved on. I will look at that again in my revision

Certifications: A+, N+
  13. shadowwebs

If anyone is available on Skype today that could possibly run through this with me I would much appreciate it?

It will be just IM chat as I cannot do video chat (no cam)

- - - Updated - - -

On second thoughts, I think I may have found the problem... the problem being Virtual Box, as I just decided to reboot my PC, with the usb stick (containing autounattend.xml) and the Win7 boot cd inserted, I found that it bypassed the Language Setting, so the xml was indeed being read from.

Just to confirm this theory, I rebooted my PC again but this time without the USB stick inserted, and I was greeted with the prompt for which Language Setting did I want.

Now that I know this works, and that I just need to tweak some settings in the .xml file for agreeing the licence terms, plus disk management etc I think I am back on track...

Following this, I shall be ditching Virtual Box and finding an alternative virtualisation alternative... any suggestions?

14. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

15. shadowwebs

running through vmware player now. I have updated my xml file which i have attached.

clears language setting fine but still asks me which version of Win7 I want to install and asks me to accept licence agreement, it doesnt ask me for a licence key however so its clearly accepting the dummy one i have put in for the time being. at present it's copying files across.

just to get an idea of whether it all works or not at the end, i have set some properties for Internet Explorer including what the home page should be, just to get an idea on what each property can be customized to do, still at the basics level i feel.

- - - Updated - - -

well that didnt work, it did ask me for a licence key in the end and all other settings also... along with IE not having the default settings I applied but I am not going to worry about that part.

Practice, Practice & more Practice

- - - Updated - - -

latest xml attached

Attached Files:

16. shadowwebs

given up