70-680 - Deploying Windows 7

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Greens85, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Greens85

Greens85 Bit Poster

Hi All,

I have recently started studying for the 70-680 and while I found the first section pretty easy going i.e. I found most of it come natural to a certain degree, I feel I am really struggling with the section "Deploying Windows 7". I am using the MS press book and labbing with the use of oracle VM virtual box and also using the prof. messer vids.

I say I am struggling but in the practice tests/lesson reviews for this section I am not doing too badly, but I have a nagging feeling this is more down to getting used to the questions rather than gaining an in depth knowledge of the area. I'm not sure how much of the command line stuff I will need to know for the test etc.

To people who have studied and passed this, I just wondered how they tackled this section? Could I be focusing too much attention on this i.e. trying to go too in depth when I might be best placed to move on, come back and see how much sticks? I kind of feel like I need to know it all to the highest level before moving on but I guess this could be more detrimental to my studies that anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Greens85

Certifications: BSc (hons), MCP, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, this exactly fits the way I would approach this. No one needs 1000 in the test, only 700+, and whilst it is NOT recommended that you aim to scrape a pass and it is much more desirable to be in a position to understand a good portion of each subject area, sometimes you will hit an area that you personally are less comfortable with.

This is not a problem and I recommend moving-on and coming back later (as you should really re-visit all subject areas once more before actually taking the test).

Hope this helps.
    Good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Greetings,

I'm actually studying the 70-680 myself and have gotten past the deployment section and feel your pain. The capture, modification, and deployment of Windows 7 images can be a pretty tricky subject. Especially because most of the study materials tell you about several different ways to do it, and you have to try and remember the bulk of the details about all of them. If your using VMs and you can do it in practice, the technical knowledge and fact memorization will come with time. My suggestion would be to move on to other things because it doesn't really matter what you learn initially, but what you can retain over time that makes a difference. Plus, you might even find that your long term memory is better than your short term and therefore it might take awhile for the information to stick. But once it does, you will review that section and remember much more than you thought you did. Keep plugging away, keep using those VMs to practice not only deployment, but the upcoming subnetting, hardening, and networking, and remember to review before the exam and all should be well.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+
    WIP: MCTS: Windows 7
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

If you get stressed out about a particular section, it may dent your motivation or progress on other sections - don't get something after the first couple of tries, move on and revisit - something later on in your journey of study may be able to piece it together for you.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. Greens85

Greens85 Bit Poster

Hi All,

Many thanks for your responses, it is actually a relief to hear you guys say leave it and move on and suggesting that it won't necessarily damage my chances of a pass. I left the 'Deploying Windows 7' section behind me last night and tonight will be moving onto "Configuring Hardware and Applications" my only hope is that the last section was just something I didn't "get" and the rest won't be the same! If I feel the same about the upcoming sections as I did about the last I will be in deep trouble! I certainly feel I will need to revisit that section a few times before even booking the exam, but we shall see how the rest of it goes!

Can anyone explain the exam structure, for example is their a set amount of questions from each section during the exam, or a complete jumble for all sections? Do you have to score a certain percentage in each section etc? Clearly I want and need to learn it all, I'm not relying on getting "lucky" and avoiding questions for "Deploying..." I'm just curious as to how the exam is structured.

Certifications: BSc (hons), MCP, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA
  6. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010