70-680 coming up, any more advice?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Mr Cook, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Mr Cook

Mr Cook New Member

Hey, I'm currently employed in an apprenticeship company called QA (who are also an IT training company) - based in the UK.

I'm on a 9-month work-based apprenticeship, so I'm working full-time within an organisation basically fulfilling the apprenticeship equivalent of a Business Systems Engineer.

Through this placement, I and about 15-20 others are also being put through two certifications, the 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, and the Cisco ICND1 Networking.

I recently went on the two-week training course for the 70-680, which was held inside the QA training centre, and it went through the entire 70-680 course from the official MS textbook, and took us through a lot of the labs. We also completed two 4-hour assignments required for 70-680 completion.

That course was at the end of November, and my 70-680 exam is fast approaching on the 8th January, and I feel ready for it, I just want to know if there are any other study materials to cover?

I’ve went through all Professor Messor videos on the subject, been reading the MS Textbook, looked at the CBT Nuggets, went through a 600-page “Exam Cram”, and been completing practice testing on the Measure Up website. However, with MeasureUp there are only 161 Questions in the question bank, and after a few practice tests I had began to learn the answers and not the material behind the answers.

As a result, I am reluctant to practice on Virtual CertExam Suite, as I feel I won’t understand the background of the answers. Is there any other wealth of information you guys have used for test simulation, or even study notes that I could take a look at? Just want to be prepared as possible for the exam.

I’ve browsed this forum for a few days now, and saw a mix of attitudes towards the exam, people saying they failed, people saying it was easy, so just want to make sure I pass on the first attempt.

Brilliant thing is, QA have paid for the exam, and their training course was free, so the support available from them is fantastic, and this ia a great opportunity I don’t want to mess up on =D

Any advice or exam tips would be amazing, and I’ll let everyone know how I get on, on the 8th January

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I know you have said that there are only 161 questions in the measureup bank, but how are your results looking after taking these mock exams?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Sounds like you're pretty much there! :)

Personally, I would have preferred to sit the exam closer to the course end date but that's obviously personal preference and date-availability dependent.

Yes, don't overuse the practice q's as you will learn the answers as you've said.
    All I will say is to target (re-read, re-practice) the areas that your practice tests pointed out as your least strong.
    (Do you have a lab setup at home?).
    Other than that - I'd just wish you good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  4. Mr Cook

Mr Cook New Member

ShadowWebs – At the beginning, when I started to do the Measure Up questions, I would be hitting around 60-70%, this was after the 2-week course, but without any other study materials. But now, I’m able to consistently hit 95-100% on those tests because I’ve learned the answers, although I suppose it did help, because I can explain the theory behind most of the answers now, but I don’t think it’s a fair judgment on what score I’ll get on the exam, that’s all =D

RickyV – I think the date actually suits rather well, as the training course was our first introduction to the course, I actually had no idea what official Microsoft and other certifications were until just before I started the course, so I feel that having 6-7 weeks after the end of the course to study up on the material, and get clued up on what the exams will be like has really helped me, but then again that’s just my own personal opinion. However, I am actually one of the first from the group to book the exam, others are waiting until at least February/March time to book the exam, this was one of the earlier dates available.

Also, I have a makeshift lab set up at home, I already run Windows 7 on my PC, but I downloaded a few different pieces of VMware to use at home too, and I’ve went through some of the more complex labs again on the VMware, as we did cover most of the labs in the training course, such as performing a clean install of Windows 7, and things along that route. Although I do believe actually going through the course on a PC, and doing it practically is the best way to learn, I’ve been struggling to find the time to sit through installations, and Syspreps, and other labs, where if I can find a couple hours of spare time, I’ll revise over the course notes instead. I’m aware that the course and the exam questions are very practical-based, and aren’t solely reliant on theory and the facts, but I feel confident in my skills when using Windows 7, and installing Windows 7, and have most of the practical skills nailed down, and I’m more worried about nailing the more complex exam questions, such as what all the different Imaging utilities do, how to subnet accurately, and what command should be used when.

Anyway, I’ve went on for a little bit, basically I have the kit to perform any lab activities at home, I just tend not to do too many labs, and focus more on exam revision.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll make sure not to overdo the “mock testing”, and read up more on the areas I feel I need to work on =D

5. Mr Cook

Mr Cook New Member

Just a quick update, the exam is drawing nearer, I’ve had a little bit of annual leave over the Christmas period, and I’ve slacked off slightly on the studying, but still have a good few days to just reinforce the knowledge in my head before my exam on the 8th Jan =D

Been following all your advice on here and feel pretty confident when the time comes to sit the exam. I had a look on the Prometric website to see about what to bring/what to expect with regards to the exam, and was taken aback by the potential inclusion of metal detectors, 2x ID, fingerprint analysis, and they seem to be very strict with their rules and regulations, but it shouldn’t put me off, (really I’m not sounding bigheaded, but I usually perform well in an examination environment, I’ve not always achieved the best grades, but I’m not one of those people who falls apart in exams, I’m always really chilled out.)

Anyway, I’ll let you all know how I get on after the 8th, I’ve had a read over some threads on here, but does anyone have any 70-680 experiences they wish to share? They’ve allocated 3 hours for the exam, but that’s for only between 60-80 questions I’ve heard? That’s over two minutes a question, so it shouldn’t really take too long I guess, any final advice is appreciated =D

6. ChuckL

ChuckL New Member

Anyone who says it is easy is just bragging/ being an asshole. It is hard as **** because they want you to know everything, make sure you set up Second Shot correctly, and take notes on the CBT Nuggets videos or Prof Messer.

The day before my exam I watched at least 5 hours of Messer videos, while taking notes. I passed, I credit a lot of it to him. He makes great videos and walks you through everything he's talking about. And practice, practice, practice.

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Or may be it was easy for them? I happen to know for a fact that when I have sat workstation exams in the past that I have found them easy, by your definition I am either bragging or an asshole? Ignoring the fact that I have years of experience working with Windows OS's (from Desktop to Server OS's), I must still either be bragging or an asshole.

I will let you make your own mind up but I can tell you, I am not bragging ;)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. ChuckL

ChuckL New Member

I took it as an outsider trying to get into IT I can see how it would be easy if you're working with GPOs and images all the time, but it's important not to underestimate the exam. It is difficult unless the stuff is part of your job already.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

And there my friend lies the problem, the exam is aimed at people with at least 12 months experience with the technologies. These AREN'T entry level exams here.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. ChuckL

ChuckL New Member

I know : (, but I got a job now so I am no longer an outsider! : p

11. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

I wont lie. I the 680 wasn't that hard for me, but the 686 100 times harder.

I'm glad you passed congratulations.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  12. Mr Cook

Mr Cook New Member

Thanks guys, only a day to go, so doing a bit of cramming at work today, and when I get home I'm probaby going to just watch Professor Messer videos al night, seems like the best way to make sure everything sticks, I'll probably focus a big chunk of that towards subnetting, as I've heard that's a crucial component in the exam, I'll let you know how it goes =D