70-680 booked (July 5th)

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by subliminalsmurf, May 18, 2012.

1. subliminalsmurf

subliminalsmurf Nibble Poster

Booked 70-680 for 5th July (gives me 8 weeks to finish studying).

I have a few issues with the MS press book not being all that great. It's a little bit inaccurate. While I'm confident I can pass this exam I'm a little worried about the publication of this test. I've spoken to a colleague who recently took this test and felt that it was inaccurate and even complained to MS.

I'm going to assume that the test is accurate on this one. Without breaking the NDA is anyone able to confirm that the test is actually accurately worded or should I be prepared to expect the worst?

I don't want to end up failing due to mistakes in the test.

Certifications: MCITP: Windows 7 Desktop Support Technician
    WIP: 70-686 - Started the same day as passing 680
  2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I've not even started to look at this exam yet (planning to at the end of the year), but I'd recommend you:

1. Look at the errata if you haven't already, it has ALOT of changes.
    2. Always use a second source
    3. If you haven't already check Professer Messer video's - all free (Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training)
    4. Plenty of labbing, this exam is considered quite hard by even the most experienced on this forum.

Good luck!

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
    subliminalsmurf likes this.
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

yes this book does have errors and the extensive ERRATA can look a little worrying, although I did not stumble upon anything that was consistantly wrong everytime that it was mentioned in the text, so I would not let it worry you as it will not be so bad as to affect your performance in the test.

I have not heard of anyone mention that errors are produced during the test itself (what are BETA stages for otherwise?) or in the preparatory tests that are included in the book, so I really should not worry about this.

Boffy is very correct when he states that "Always use a second resource", labbing is also a good way to check text against experience as he has suggested.

The exam for this one is not easy and can throw up questions that are correctly described as making you "think out of the box".

HTH and Good Luck!

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  4. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

i'm planning on booking my 70-680 for end of June. I've been using Don Pultons book for a couple of months now and that has a few boo boos in it...i doubt there's a perfect book out there. This is a hard exam is something I've been hearing a lot of...not looking forward to it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

It is hard, yes. But try to look at it in a positive light; the fact that the 680 expects a lot from you a) tends to make studying for the 685/686 exams easier and b) readies you in a much better way for further MS Cert. study.

Try to give yourself that last 2 weeks to take the preparatory tests and use the marks there to show you which areas need to be re-visited. Aim high; 80-85% is a good pass mark and will show you that you are ready to take the test but at the same time be mindful of over using one particular set of test-questions as familiarity with q's you have seen before may be skewing your results.

Above all, relax!

HTH.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Good luck dude!

I would also like to book the exam but am in a bit of an awkward position where I start my new job on 6th June and have a holiday booked for July 1st.

Will have to wait till I start and see when I can have a morning or day off as I don't think my local test centre does Saturdays.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. subliminalsmurf

Cheers guys. I usually use CBT Nuggets and tech net for 2nd sources but I think I could definitely benefit from the professor messer videos. I'll have a look today. Weekend is, after all, the best time to study.

At least I feel a little better about the content now. :-). As much as I'm looking forward to this exam I know it'll be a bitch!

Thanks for the suggestions and re-assurance guys! \m/^_^\m/

8. RudeNot2

RudeNot2 New Member

Hi all, I have booked for 22nd June with a discounted voucher from ebay :-) (short expiry - 30th June)

Studying going not too bad but still making stupid mistakes :-( Have an ESX box that I can throw machines on at will which helps no end.

Any further online / downloadable resource pointers gratefully received.

Dave

Certifications: MCSE NT4 2000 Citrix XP Admin
    WIP: Win 7 & 2K8R2
  9. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

best of luck with the exam. What resources have you been using thus far? Do you feel ready..?

10. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Good luck subliminalsmurf and RudeNot2. I passed it largely off the back of those Messer videos - so I'd strongly recommend them. I was just gutted to see he didn't do anything for the 685!
    It is a tough exam, but as RichyV says, use multiple sources, practise as much as you can in the lead up to it. And in the test relax.

And no, I've never seen an error in any Microsoft exam. I thought I saw an error a couple of time - or rather, one where two answers were both right. Then, when I looked em up on TechNet it turned out I didn't know as much as I thought.
    MS do have some horribly WORDED questions though (I remember one in the Server 2008 track that I had to work through, clause by clause, DRAWING A DIAGRAM just to figure out what the damn question was asking me - and once I'd done that, the answer was blindingly obvious. I wrote a very sarcastic note for that one in the "feedback" period!) Hopefully you won't see that in the 680 though.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  11. RudeNot2

RudeNot2 New Member

Cheers RichyV / The Zig, Have been using the MS Press book, various technet articles and pretty much anything else I can find. Those Messer videos are pretty good. I use / abuse Windows 7 most days but within a smaller company (as I am at present) a lot of the functions are never utilised.

Does anyone know of free (or very cheap) sample question databases?

Dave

12. subliminalsmurf

Hiya, I don't know about cheap but if you have an iPad or iPhone icert is only 8quid. Decent sample exams. The disc with the press book is alright once you correct the mistakes too. Certify me etc just seem to be a bit of a rip off.

13. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I got mine booked in for next Monday 11th June.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  14. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Good luck. If you there's any technology or concept you need info or clarification on, I'm sure me and others will offer help.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
  15. RudeNot2

RudeNot2 New Member

Hi all,

Passed this one yesterday with 940 :-) Not as bad as I thought it would be, but definitely recommend a virtual setup to get a good grasp of concepts. Got a discount on MeasureUp tests and used that in the last week just to get back into exam mode after not having done any exams for approx 5 years.

Next on the list are the W2K8R2 track :-0

Dave

16. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass and thanks for the info!

17. subliminalsmurf

nice work!

my exam is on thursday. im crapping bricks.

18. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Congrats RudeNot2! As you say, VM's are great to actually really play around with the tech and see how it all works.
    Good luck subliminalsmurf!

19. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

Mine today.

Certifications: A+, MS 70-680
    WIP: MS 70-640
  20. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

good luck

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...