70-680 and 70-685... 3 Certs???

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by buddoggin, May 23, 2013.

1. buddoggin

buddoggin New Member

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and have a question. I'm about to take the 70-680 and 685 exams. What I'm reading from Microsoft is that I will receive a MCTS for 680 and then receive a MCSA and a MCITP when I pass 685. Is this correct? I realize the mcts and mcitp are being retired next year, but I just wanted to double check that my info is correct. Thanks!

Follow up... I think I just answered my own question. This is from Microsoft:

Until January 31, 2014, when you earn your MCSA: Windows 7 certification you also earn your MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration certification and either your MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 certification (Exams 680 and 686) or your MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7 certification (Exams 680 and 685).

After January 2014, you can no longer earn the MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration, MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7, or MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7 certifications, but Exams 680, 685, and 686 will still be required for the MCSA: Windows 7 certification.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Welcome aboard!

All your information is correct.

3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. buddoggin

buddoggin New Member

I saw posts like that myself so I went directly to Microsoft for the info. I would post a link but since I'm new here I'm being blocked from posting links. I even had to remove your link from my reply... lol

5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Last edited: May 23, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

While I've been generally in favour of the change from MCITP to return the more recognised MCSA/MCSE identities, I'm not so happy about the discontinuation of the MCTS.

As a newcomer to Microsoft's certifications, I thought the MCTS level exams were a good opportunity to show competence in a particular technology area without having to commit totally to the whole pathway, or to develop your transcript more gradually if you didn't have the chance to study consistently due to time constraints, or if you are also busy attaining other vendor pathways.

As far as I can see, there is no replacement for the MCTS in the new structure, meaning individual exams won't count for anything in future. Am I correct on this?

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
  7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I'm not sure if any of us know the strategy now when it comes to single exams.

I think it will be along the lines of "When you pass any exam you will be given access to our Microsoft Certified Professional website" - which a lot of people still equate to mean "You have earned an MCP" :cussing

Anyway, it seems they want this to be reward enough until you have passed enough to gain at least an MCSA.

Have you seen the new MS Learning icon? A pyramid with only 3 levels, the lowest being MCSA, then the middle being MCSE and finally the top level of MCSM. (With the MTA coming before these and the MCA coming after).

It's still a bit of a mess IMHO.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  8. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

So it should probably show up on your transcript, but where before you'd have gained an MCTS, now it'll just be an exam number and a title. I wonder if employers would still view that as a valid qualification (if not exactly a certification)?

I had seen the 3-layer pyramid, but didn't know what an MCA was until I just looked it up now. It does seem the MTA and MCA are out of place in the grand scheme of things, but then I don't understand their rush to retire marketable certifications in fairly recent technologies either.

While I intend on working towards the MCSA, I'm hoping there is still time for me to get the MCTS in W7/WS2008 first; but picking up the MCTS Hyper-V as I had hoped won't be possible. That's a loss for them as I'll likely look at VMware for the future rather than "Private Cloud".

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
  9. buddoggin

buddoggin New Member

Yup, it was true! I passed my 70-685 yesterday and my transcript has already been updated. Got the MCSA, MCITP and MCTS by passing the 70-680 and 70-685. Now I'm going to take the 70-689 for the MCSA Windows 8. Since so many seem to hate windows 8, but are being forced to use it when they purchase a new PC, I'm sensing an opportunity!! lol

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass and the new creds :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Not strictly true at the moment. From Dell / HP, the majority of business PCs I am looking at for a renovation project at the moment are Win 7 Professional

12. buddoggin

buddoggin New Member

True. Hell, a lot of business users around here are still running XP. I'm referring to home users and mom and pop's. Can't hurt the resume anyways.