70-648/649 MCSA/MCSE 2003 to 2008 Transition Self Paced Training Kit

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Sparky2156, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Sparky2156

Sparky2156 New Member

Hey guys,

I have just bought the official Microsoft Training book:

MCTS: 70-648/649 Transition your MCSA/MCSE to Windows Server 2008

I currently hold an MCSA for server 2003 and understand that I need to sit the 79-648 exam to upgrade my MCSA to be valid for server 2008 as well. However, this book covers both the 70-648 and 70-649 exams with to clear guidelines as to what part you should study for which exam. I don't want to spend more time studying coursework for an exam I will never sit, although I'm sure it would be interesting and valuable all the same! Amazingly enough the book doesn't state itself which part you should read for which exam, which leads me to think it is all relevant to both exams...

Could anybody advise me on how you should study this book as an MCSA?

Thanks.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hi Sparky :blink :biggrin

This link gives you the upgrade options from MCSA to what cert you want to go for.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab4

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

If my memory serves me correctly I read on another forum that the upgrade path from MCSA 2003 to server admin for 2008 is a steep learning curve.

I would use in conjuction with books you already own technet and petri.com for knowledgebase articles.

Best wishes and let us how you're getting on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell