70-647 R2 Update

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Methodman85, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Hello,

I received an email today stating that the 70-647 exam that I'm currently studying for, has been updated to include R2 features. Any ideas if I'll still be fine with the old material + just knowing what R2 brings to the table in general?

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The 70-647 is the Pro exam, so that means that it'd be job role specific, rather than the MCTS exams which are technology based. TBH, I wouldn't like to say "yes" or "no" as it is dependant not only on your knowledge but also on the questions that come out of the pool of questions that you're going to get. Plus there's a bigger jump between Windows 2008 and 2008 r2 than there was between 2003 & 2003 r2.

Not exactly an answer you're looking for, but it's the only answer I can give. If you can move the exam date, move it and revise for r2 :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Windows 2008 R2 has a lot of changes to it over Windows 2008. I think Microsoft should of kept the current exams and released specific Windows 2008 R2 exams and allowed people to sit either to gain their certifications. It's cheesed me off somewhat as I have bought some expensive MCITP books that are looking a little useless now.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Yes I totally agree with you. I recently ordered MCITP books as well. I guess all I can do is revise R2 and hope for the best. At least I have a second shot.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They've never done so in the past. XP SP2 had a lot of changes too, but they didn't create a separate exam for it.

I'm sure a few new questions will be added... and publishers WILL likely create a Second Edition of the study guide. But when this kind of thing has happened in the past, there usually aren't so many new questions that the exam completely changes.

Not saying that it is "right" or "wrong"... all I'm saying is that none of this is new... all of this has happened before, and will probably happen again.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It all depends on on the level of changes between versions, Microsoft already confirmed that they wouldn't be releasing a 2008 r2 track (see my previous post here from last year). However they have release two different Hyper-V exams, the 70-652 (version 1 that shipped with 2008 ) and 70-659 (version 2 that shipped with 2008 r2).

-Ken

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Interesting... didn't know that! Thanks, Ken! Repped!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

The official "Changes in Functionality from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2" is 211 pages long.
    I guess I'll have to read the entire thing since there's no indication of what new features will be tested.
    Hopefully I won't confuse myself trying to remember if a feature is pre or post R2.

Link