70-640 soon.. need advice

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by mackyboy026, Mar 27, 2013.

1. mackyboy026

mackyboy026 New Member

Hi, i need to take 70-640 soon and I need some advice. I never had the chance to have a formal training because i can't skip a day of work. My employer advised me to have a self study but I dont know how/where to start. One mate of mine gave me CBT nuggets vids and i'm working on it. But i feel that i need some more source to study. I really need to pass this exam because I am really interested and I am planning to have MCSA or further certification. Any advice would be much appreciated.

i want more videos and references about 70-640 exam. please gimme some ideas pls. thanks!

2. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Do you have any experience with Active Directory in your current job? Do you use it on a daily basis or generally have much experience with it?

Im working through the Microsoft Press book on the 70-640 and would recommend it, its got tasks for you to complete in your home lab. Other than that i have also been using the CBT Nugget videos.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  3. mackyboy026

mackyboy026 New Member

yes, i am a system admin in a company with 2k + users and deals with it in a daily basis. My previous work was 2008 active dir and my current work is 2003 active dir. By the way this is my first system admin job. Before i got this job, i really really wanted to have a microsoft certification and i want it so bad from the moment i knew about it and my eagerness just grows and grows each day. I am 24 years old already and I feel like i'm being left behind.

is CBT Nugget enough reference to pass?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  4. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I wouldnt personally say watching videos is enough, the first thing i would say ive relised with AD whilst studying for the 70-640 is just how indepth and how much to it there is. I dont know how long youve worked with active directory but it sounds like youve got more experience with it than me anyway but i would say you need to setup a lab at home using VM's and try out different scenarios which you perhaps havent experienced in your production environment and will need to know for the exam. Best way to do this is to work through the lab exercises in the microsoft press book.

It sounds like you want to get the qualification and your trying to rush things and thinking you can just watch the videos and then go take the exam and pass. I think you need to slow down and take the time to study properly to guarentee yourself a pass.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  5. mackyboy026

mackyboy026 New Member

hi,

where can i get a copy of Microsoft Press Book? Is if for free? or not?

thanks alot!

6. mackyboy026

mackyboy026 New Member

hi guys can you suggest a good strategy to study 70-640? i always feel sleepy watching videos from cbt nuggets. and also, where can i get online practical exercises to follow using vmware? thanks in advance!

7. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor Bit Poster

You can get the MS Press 70-640 book at Amazon.com. It is not free. The list price is $69.99, but Amazon is selling it for $33.49 with a 52% discount.

amazon.com/Self-Paced-Training-Kit-Exam-70-640/dp/0735651930/

8. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

I Passed this exam using the MS book, Technet and CBT nuggets.
    Make sure you do all the lab work in the MS book

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner