70-536 70-502 - Worth it?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Navitas Daniel, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Navitas Daniel

Navitas Daniel New Member

Hi there guys,

I'm sure you get hundreds of these threads asking if the certifications are 'worth it' - but this one is based around the new developments with the .NET framework occuring at this point in time and in the next 6 months.

I'm new to the whole certification scene and the 70-536 is the first exam I'm considering taking, however, it would be illogical to take said exam if the certification structure is going to be revamped with the release of VS2010 and .NET 4.

Have you guys got any idea what will happen to the certifications in this case, when VS2010 is released?
    If I was to pass the 70-536 (ADF) and the 70-502 (WPF) exams now, would I have to retake for VS2010/.NET 4? (i.e. Are the differences between .NET 4 and .NET 3.5 large enough to warrant a revamp / retake of the current certification structure?)

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

WIP: MCTS: 70-536, 70-502
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I have previously taken both the exams you mention, so I thought it was worth it at the time.

I however do not really agree with many of microsofts certification strategies, cert in line with product/version does not seem a good idea for developer exams to me.

It appears they are slowly changing the tracks in some respects to agree with me, unfortunately they still have version specific exams and are dropping old exams, which is a little harsh on those of us that have already taken them.

A quick google brings up these links :-

http://blogs.msdn.com/gerryo/
    http://www.certsandprogs.com/2009/11/upcoming-vs2010net-40-certification.html#axzz0XmnUzios

Gerry O'Brien is the development exam manager at MS, his blog normally has the most upto date information.