70-431

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Tinus1959, May 31, 2007.

1. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

One of my student just sat the 70-431 exam (SQL 2005)
    This exam is split in two parts. Part one is some 35 'normal' questions. She was very strong here (scored very close to 100%).
    The second part is a perfomance based part with some 15 questions.
    She scored about 15 % in this part.
    Still her overall score was 140 points.
    The question: does this simulation part have such a heavy inpact on the total score? Is looked liked the normal questions just added 10% of the total amount and the sim was 90%.

Anyone an idea?

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A 140? Out of (maybe, possibly, normally) 1000?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Tinus1959

Yes.
    If it was, lets say 600 or even 500 I could understand. In that case the 15 or so simulation like questions would count (almost) as heavy as the 35 normal questions.
    An other possibility (just came to my mind) is that the time taken to perform is also taken into account, but that would be a first in Microsoft.

4. BosonMichael

So are there two separate portions of the exam now? How is it formatted? Do you have so much time to do the standard questions, then so much time to do the simulation questions (separately timed)? This is a relatively new development for 70-431 - last I checked, it was all straight multiple choice. Any information you can provide would be helpful, my friend.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Tinus1959

That's what she told me. She showed me the result form and there were only two "bars", "The non-perfomance based part" and the second bar was titled "The perfomance based part"
    The first bar was close to 100% (97 or so), the second bar was 15% or so. Total sc0re 140. It was a microsoft exam, so I presume the passing score = 700.
    She said the first part had some 35 questions and the second 15. I have not taken the exam, so I can not tell for sure that there are actually two parts, but that's what the lady claims.
    I don't see her every day. She get the training in our second office 100 km away.

6. BosonMichael

Thank you much for the info. Looks like I need to go take it!

7. Hangleton

Hangleton Bit Poster

I took this one a few weeks ago.

Apparently you get the lowest of the two scores. Her 15% was most probably 14%, and that's 140 out of 1000.

Certifications: MCPD EA, MCDST, MCTS SQL
    WIP: MCPD .NET 3.5, MCITP Vista
  8. BosonMichael

Holy crap! :ohmy That might be it!

9. Tinus1959

Well, that is a strange way of calculating the result. I'll check this matter by Microsoft next Monday. I'll come back to this.

10. Tinus1959

Update!

I got a non answer from MS saying that they can not tell me anything. They are sure I'll understand.
    One off my colleguas had a nice comparison. I think I'll stick to that one:
    If you pass the theoritical part of your drivers licence, but can not stear the car, you'r not fit to drive. If you can handle the car, but don't know what this red light means, you are also not fit to drive. Bottomline: pass both parts with 70% at least.
    Makes sense.