70-401 mcts:sccm

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Theprof, May 16, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am going to sit this exam in the coming month. Just going over the Administrators Guide and strengthening my weakness. To anyone who took this exam, can you shed some light on the style of the exam? Is it similar to the Windows Operating System exams with multiple choice answers and sims?

I have about 1 year experience so far. I was also the one to implement SCCM in our environment for OS/Updates/Application deployment. I know my way around so I figured I'd add this to my list of certifications, plus I see it being used a lot in other companies so it's definitely an asset.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I took this a while ago, afraid it's the only MS exam I've taken so not much help in saying if it's like any others :p

It wasn't too hard though, was in and out in under 10 minutes, just really read the question and make sure you 'get' what part of SCCM it's talking about.

But if you've been using it for a year, read the books etc you'll be fine.

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I did it a couple of years ago and it was fairly straight forward, know about the differences between WDS, MDT and SCCM and where you would\could use each. Understand about device manageent etc. The exam itself was fairly straight forward and honestly with the experience you have you shouldn't have any issues.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Cool. Thanks for the replies! I am also using CBT Nuggets videos so I am hoping to take this one sometime mid June.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I am looking to buy the MS Press book but there has been mixed feedbacks from buyers on Amazon.co.uk. Please, let me know if you'd recommend this book Theprof.

I would be setting up SCCM at work in the coming months so need a good basic to advance book to put me on the right track. I also read somewhere on the web that the trainer on cbtnuggets on SCCM sounded too a bit patronizing or exaggerating.

Well you're the judge as you are currently watching these videos. Thanks in advance:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The MS Press book is a tad out of date now, I would look more towards the SAMS book.

As far as experience is concerned just install and play with it, that's the best thing (I would also suggest having a look at MDT\WDS as should be using some of the features of MDT in your deployments anyway.

I would also suggest looking at the deployment guys blogs over at MS as well as spending some time at MyITForums as well.

Finally, bear in mind that SCCM is going to be replaced towards the end of the year by SCCM - vNext (SCCM 2011\2012) so whilst the fundementals should stay the same, the product won't.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

From what I remember prof you being the one who implemented SCCM will count for a lot. I worked with a woman who failed this exam twice. She is spot on at the BAU support aspect but didn't put it in. 401 if I remember was more about configuring the product than what layer app is this, supporting etc so if you're up on your mif and mof files, site boundaries, the different discovery methods, erm .... oh knowing general Microsoft networking like DNS and DHCP obviously is always handy.

Little things that someone who works on SCCM may not know if they hadn't installed it like that you have to extend the schema and how would you do this, ExtADSch.

You will be fine mate. I've not done them all obviously but I've found the MCTS exams to be a lot more "ahem" straight forward than say the older MCP exams ;)

Oh just thought on, r2 and r3! I remember being caught out on some of my MCSE exams not reading what had been updated in 2003 R2! Have a google whats changed. You know MS, yeah the nuggets are great, the MS pressbooks but they like to see you've read the odd white paper on the subject ;)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys for the feedback, much appreciated:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with Simon, the best way I learned is by doing it. You can read all the theory you want but until you actually start building the environment, that's where it gets complicated. I would recommend reading the first few chapters of the book though. Thing is, you can build a test environment and play around, but when it comes to production, you'll have to scale your servers accordingly to fit your environment. You should also know your requirements before even beginning to build an SCCM environment. This kind of theory you'll learn in books.

The first few months is going to be a learning curve... I mean the product is really complex and there are lots of sections to configure and test. However after you've done it all, you'll be able to follow stuff a lot easier and understand better.

I remember when I first started learning how SCCM actually interacts with the SQL database and how changes and configurations you make to the site, impact the database and the entire SCCM environment. Microsoft really did a great job in releasing this product and it really does wonders when it's configured properly.

Honest you're more than welcome to ask questions and like Simon said, follow some of the the links he mentioned, because that's what I did and it helped a lot!

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks! :)

I've been working on Sharepoint 2010 and Exchange 2010 lately so the only time I could study is on the way home and work... I think I'll be alright! I got the second chance voucher so if I don't pass on the first try, I will on the second!

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Theprof:), appreciated.

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have a look at my SCCM installation guide, that's a great place to start. By the time I wrote it I had already installed and played with the product about 10 times by then.

I am actually considering some additional documentation on application packaging best practices but am spending more time with my VCP study then anything else at this time.

13. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I took and passed this exam about a month ago, but it was on the second attempt. The problem I found (and the reason I failed it the first time) was that because the range of possible uses of the product is so broad, that some of the questions they can ask can be... annoying, to say the least.

First hand experience with the product is definately the way to go for this one.

Other very useful sites include Windowsnoob.com (full guides to installing, packaging etc etc).

And the ConfigMgr blog

Hope this helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA