70-294 vs 70-640

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jvanassen, Aug 21, 2012.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Ive decided to take an AD exam and have told my boss this inwhich he got really enthuisatic about it and told me it was a good idea.

He said if i picked out a book i need and he would get it ordered for me. But then he found a Windows server 2003 AD book (70-294) in the cupboard and gave that to me and said actually theres not to much difference between 2003 and 2008 AD. Is this true?

Do you think studying the Microsoft 2003 AD book and watching the 2008 AD CBT nugget videos would be enough to take the exam or i should study from the latest book also?

i think the answer to this question is pretty obvious personally but its just a bit awkward to ask him to now order me the book when he gave me this one and said it would be fine lol

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Check out the links in the this and maybe tell him about them:

difference between 2003 AD and 2008 AD

Certifications: A few.
  3. jvanassen

Thanks for that, quite interesting. Also just found a video which listed all the new AD features for 2008. Theres quite a few. Definetly wont bother with this 2003 AD book he gave me.

Considering im quite new to AD and have only been working in IT for coming up 3 months do you think it would be in my best interest to just play around with a server & active directory in a VM for the next month or so and get a better understanding of it until server 2012 and the exams are released and then take that rather than the 70-640.

Or should i just crack straight on with the 70-640

4. Rob1234

Are you going to use server 2012 at work?

What about Windows 7 exams such as 70-680?

What ever you do at work try an get certified in that so if its server side things go down that route if its desktop go down that route.

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well not meaning to sound harsh but as Microsoft recommend 12 - 18 months of experience using the product before actually attempting the exam I would probably wait, by all means get stuck in and play around with the product but you simply don't have the real world experience to pass the exams.

Oh and I wouldn't worry about 2012 exams for the moment, I can't see the Enterprise rushing out to upgrade their estates right from the get go.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. jvanassen

My current situation is in this post http://www.certforums.com/forums/em...-job-hunting-junior-has-finally-come-end.html (which might be an interesting read for you)

A brief rundown is that im in a desktop support role but i have the oppertunity within my company to touch on much more advance stuff compared to a normal desktop support role. I was studying the 70-680 but my boss has told me to not bother with it and get stuck into something more advanced hense me looking into AD.

Well im sure theres no harm in me working through a training kit and learning the ins and outs of AD then attempting the exam. Id be surprised if there arent plenty of other people that have done the same passed the exam without 12-18 months worth of experience.

Thanks for your insight anyway its been helpful, i shall get cracking with the 70-640 :)

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Of course there are plenty of other people who don't have the experience and try to pass the exam, notice I say try? I attended MCITP training a couple of years ago where people didn't have the experience or exposure to the technology and after failing exams twice had to wait for the cooling off period before attempting the exam again. Please understand that these exams aren't easy, yes go ahead and study but... infact BUT don't expect to walk through them.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. jvanassen

Yea i can understand completly where your coming from but the difference is that i do have common sense, I would not try and take an exam unless i knew i would pass it. I plan on studying and working through a training kit whilst playing around and practicing on a VM setup and now i have the upper hand that i now have a job in IT where i am working in AD nearly every day. I will also continue to watch cbt nugget videos on the 70-640 whilst communting to and from work. Even after all this i would still do what ive done on previous exams ive passed and purchase some testing software and wouldnt bother wasting my money on the proper exam until i was passing the practice exams everytime.

I can understand completly where your coming from though and i dont believe you can walkthrough any exam, if you practice and study enough you will pass it.

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

There are differences between the two, but it also depends what you guys use in the office... if you guys are on 2008, I'd study 2008, if you're on 2003 maybe 2003 is a better fit for the moment. There are a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences. Its not the same exam either, very different stuff.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We'll be in the next 12 months, mainly due to the improvements to Hyper-V 3 :)

Hence why we've already started studying 2012...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. jvanassen

Sent my boss over a list of books today that i wanted ordered for the MCITP: 2008 Server Admin - 70-640, 70-642, 70-646 and after all this discussion with him about 2003 vs 2008 etc his now said he doesnt think its worth paying out for all these books when 2012 is right round the corner and we would be starting to test this out pretty much straight after the first service pack.

So while im waiting for 2012 to be released and the exams, books etc im just going to work through this 2003 book i have to help get to grips with how to install AD and all the different functions of it. Set up a few VM's and just have a general play around with it. Then when 2012 is released i can look at taking the latest exams which will be good.

Wanted to try and get a new certification passed during my probation really so when it came to the end i would look a bit better so maybe il try and pass the 70-680 in the meantime

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  12. Rob1234

Make sure you get the 2012 books and he is not just stalling and making up excuses not to buy you the training material.

13. jvanassen

Yea I know it might look like that but I don't think he is just stalling as he has said if I want any other books in the meantime such as a SQL or Exchange to let him know.

Thanks for your concern neway dude