70-293 - What's it all about then?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by motorleague, Sep 19, 2007.

1. motorleague

motorleague Bit Poster

Having completed my MCSA (and fitted the CCNA in now) I'm now ready to move on the the latter part of the MCSE course.

The next two exams, 70-293 and 70-292 (if I recall correctly). I've been led to believe are essentially slightly more in depth versions of the previous two exams, one concentrating on networking and the other on Active Directory.

I'm now about halfway through the Microsoft 70-293 book (haven't tried any Transcender practice exams), and the content seems to be essentially the same as the 70-291 book, a bit more design orientated but a bit less in-depth technically. As the many and varying technical aspect was what I found the most difficult in the previous exam, it seems like things might actually get a bit easier.

Can anybody advise what I might expect from these next couple of exams?

Cheers.

Certifications: MCSA, A+, Network+
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

70-293 and 70-294.

Get it out of your head that they are simply more in depth versions of the previous two exams. There ARE new topics covered within them. :) 70-293 covers a lot of security concepts and clustering that are untouched by the other exams. 70-294 is heavy heavy heavy on AD, which is barely (if at all) covered in 70-290 and 291.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

As a small extra to what Michael stated, 293 also covers subjects as Certuficate Services (as a special part of security), clustering (mentioned) and NLB (Network LoadBalancing)
    Further more, the 293 exam compared to 291 is much more about planning and less on implementation and maintainence.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. motorleague

motorleague Bit Poster

Yeh, I've certainly noticed that there are new elements, such as NLB and clustering as you mention. I guess I've maybe just got a little more aptitude for the design parts, seeing as it relys more on common sense than scraping every bit of technical information you can find across multiple textbooks. I understand that there are still plenty of tech questions on the exams however.

It just always concerns me a bit when things seem to get a little easier :)

Certifications: MCSA, A+, Network+
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Aptitude (and experience) often makes concepts and information easier to understand. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!