70-293... anyone?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Sparky, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Next up for me is the 70-293 so its time to wipe SBS off my test server and start over.

Is anyone currently studying for this exam or has anyone taken the exam?

Just been reading through some previous posts and most of the chat about certs appears to be about A+, Network+, MCDST and MCP 70-270, 70-290 and 70-291. Then everything goes quiet! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Venice

Venice Bit Poster

I was just about to ask the same question :biggrin

There seems to be very little feedback about this exam, maybe a lot of people don't bother with it after passing their MCSA!? I'm about half-way through the MS Press book and it seems nearly everything so far is the same as 291! there seems to be a great deal of cross-over but a bit more depth......

I'm expecting to see lots of questions about WSUS, GPO's, Security and Monitoring but it would be cool if anyone who's taken the exam could give some advice as to which areas to focus on.

Anyone?? :)

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003
    WIP: tbc
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Then you lot want me to dive into MCSE exams?:wink: Ill let you 2 pass them first so you can populate the forum first! :tongue

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Sparky

Yeah, I thought that to and there is some network+ material in there as well 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Microsoft exam 70-293 is not what I had expected. In fact, it was much easier than I had feared. Although the exam does include network infrastructure planning and maintenance topics (as the title implies), it seems like a majority of the questions are about simply configuring Windows Server 2003. I guess I should have expected that[md]it is a Microsoft exam and it is about Windows Server 2003. What else would Microsoft have included? I don't mean to give the impression that the 70-293 exam is easy. It isn't. However, in my opinion, 70-293 is not as difficult as 70-290, 70-291, or 70-294. - cramsession.com

To read the whole article see here.

As for personal experience, sorry can't help you there as I did the upgrade exams (70-292 & 70-296). I could tell you how those two were, but as the upgrade exams are combinations of 2 or more exams it wouldn't be fair to judge the 70-293, sorry :(

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Crito

Crito Banned

I used 293 as my MCDBA elective instead of a .NET exam. I guess what people remember the most is what they actually get to use on a day-to-day basis. So I found 293 to be memorable because it covered clustering and hardening.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  7. Venice

Venice Bit Poster

Well, I just got back from taking my 70-293 and scraped through with a 765 :rolleyes:

It's quite a tough little exam, about the same difficulty as the 291 I'd say..... but in particular, the simulations really threw me. There were only 3 of them but I'm almost certain I got 2 of those completely wrong so I must have done pretty well in the rest of the exam. It's strange because I normally love doing the sims as they're pretty straightforward but this time the tasks were a little obscure and not well explained.

Areas to concentrate on are Clusters, NLB, Certificates, IPSEC, and DNS...... but strangely I didn't get any questions on WSUS or subnetting!?

8. Sparky

Nice one mate, how long had you been studying for the 70-293 before taking the actual exam?

9. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass :clap

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  10. Venice

Venice Bit Poster

I passed my 291 about 5 weeks ago and wanted to take the 293 while everything was still fresh in my mind as there's so much cross-over between the two exams - particularly DNS.

I think I read somewhere that 291 and 293 were split from one equivalent exam on the 2000 track? and that would certainly make sense as they cover very similar areas

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats and well done:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. Sparky

Yeah, I think I will dig out my 70-291 notes and refer to them before taking the 70-293. I’ve just done the 70-282 so the 70-291 material isn’t as fresh as is should be in my head, especially due to all the Xmas boozing after the exam! :biggrin

14. Roach

Roach Bit Poster

Congrats mate, I am taking mine in the next two weeks hopefully so any help is appreciated.

Certifications: MCSA:ME, A+, Server+, HP APS, VCP4
    WIP: MCITP