70-291 Simulation questions

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by ravnil, May 6, 2010.

1. ravnil

ravnil Bit Poster

Does anybody know where to get free simulation questions for 70-291. As I see in this forum that most of the failures are for 70-291 , including me. I have unsuccessfully tried twice to tame this BEAST :rolleyes:
    Thanks in advance.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Net+
    WIP: SQL Server 2008
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

free practice exams are usually crap. That is why you have to buy quality ones.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ravnil

ravnil Bit Poster

I have MeasureUp Practice Test which came with the MS Self Study Kit which is useless. Most of the simulations does not work and the recent 70-291 exam did not have anything similar to simulation questions found on MeasureUp. Someone on this forum has given a bad opinion of Transcender, so question is which one is good.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Net+
    WIP: SQL Server 2008
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Boson, Transender and preplogic are good.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I wrote Transcender's original batch of questions for 70-291. Unfortunately, Transcender was bought by Self Test in late '03/early '04, and after I left in '05, I don't know whether they kept my content or trashed it and slapped the Transcender name on Self Test's content (which is what they do nowadays). If it's mine, I know it's good... but I can't vouch for it if it's theirs.

Boson's only got an ExSim practice exam for 70-291, not one of the premium ExSim MAX practice exams. I would recommend that you download a demo from each of the major vendors and see which one you like the best. Don't just get the cheapest... you will typically get what you pay for.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I found Transcender for the 291 very useful and probably harder than the exam itself. The main thing I got from it was being able to isolate weak area's towards the end of my studying for the exam. I wasn't aware at the time of taking the exam of any simulation style products, but had plenty of experience with the product itself which is the one thing that will benefit you more than anything else I think.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Yeah, the Transcender exams are harder than the actual exam questions. I like how Transcender gives detailed explanations of why the choices for each question are correct or incorrect, and they give references as well.

8. BosonMichael

Well, they were for 2003 and earlier products. Like I say, I can't vouch for anything created after that. There's a reason I left in 2005...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. KaplanIT Developer

KaplanIT Developer Bit Poster

A lot can change in 5 yrs, and it has at Transcender/Self Test and Kaplan. With that said, I agree w/ BosonMichael's recommendation that you download demos from several vendors and choose the interface you're most comfortable with. Methods & approaches to studying are personal, and different things work for different people. If you stick to the legit practice test providers (these top vendors the others recommended), you ensure that the content is solid and you avoid the braindump traps, which is half the battle when shopping around for study material these days.

best of luck!

10. BosonMichael

You guys still outsourcing content development? After all, that's why I left.

11. KaplanIT Developer

Is it? I thought we started outsourcing long after you left. In any case, we currently develop in-house and we've taken the old Transcender 70-291 content (that I was under the impression was written by a contractor) and revised it several times to keep the product more in sync with the current certification exam. In fact, most of the original Transcender content, that hasn't retired since our purchase in 2003, has been rewritten to better reflect internal guidelines & vendor stylesheets.

12. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Actually, Self Test started the outsourcing process even before Kaplan purchased Transcender in 2003. Like Michael, I should know. I had to deal with it as soon as the transition was completed. It's one of the reasons I left as well just a few months before Michael did. I can also assure you that Transcender's original 70-291 content was written by Michael. However, it was revised by one of the contractors in India when they added simulations to the exam.

That being said, regardless of whether the content was written by Michael or one of the outsourced developers, I agree with the above sentiments that you should download a few from reputable companies and see which one you like best.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  13. BosonMichael

That's funny, because the original Transcender used the actual vendor stylesheets to write our exams. In addition, the original Transcender's internal guidelines were a lot more strict than Self Test's internal guidelines, and the original Transcender's editing process was more rigorous than Self Test's editing process.

If you were a Transcender content developer in 2003, you would have known.

As Josh said, you guys started outsourcing to India before STS bought Transcender. And the content I received from them was horrible, both grammatically and technically. It took longer to edit the documents than it would have to write them from scratch. But we weren't allowed to trash their work... we had to document and label each error so the India employees could "learn from their mistakes." Yet, the mistakes continued... and continued. And I was stuck working 24-hour shifts to ensure the quality that nobody else seemed to care about.

If you were a KaplanIT content developer in 2005, you would have known. It sounds like you don't know the whole story.

I am surprised that you guys have pulled everything in house, since KaplanIT management said they were absolutely committed to making outsourcing work, despite the lack of quality. When did you guys stop using them? What made you guys see the light?

14. BosonMichael

I'm not surprised that you chose to not answer my questions. That's probably wise on your part. ;)

15. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

He probably has a bad connection from Bangalore or Chennai atm.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  16. BosonMichael

ZING! :p

17. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I was just about to say the 270, 290 transcenders (not used the 291) all refer to windows 2000 reference materials.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  18. BosonMichael

Doesn't sound like the stuff we created, then.

19. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

off topic but i'm studying for this exam at the moment and I can see why it's been nicknamed "The Beast", fine on most things but the DNS stuff is kicking my white ass.

In the press book there are quite a few scenarios that hopefully will have some crossover with the ones in the exam but otherwise i'll have to cough up for some decent software for the 2nd shot :/

20. KaplanIT Developer

"wise" maybe - but i'm not one to brag. "bad connection" nah - replying on the Why & How we do what we do had nothing to do w/ ravnil’s original question or this thread.

BosonMichael - not really sure why you’re surprised with the changes, it’s been many moons since you left. This industry changes daily and, as such, our business has changed quite a bit in the last several years. In fact, with the exception of a couple of invaluable employees, the development team was completely re-built a few years ago. It does sound like a very different management/development team dynamic existed when you were here, so I guess I'll consider myself lucky that that's no longer the case :biggrin

TommyTee - best of luck!