70-291 Really Getting me down

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by bodie37, Sep 10, 2007.

1. bodie37

bodie37 Bit Poster

Hi there

Not posted on here before, I've been to busy studying. The revision for the 70-291 is really getting me down.

I've worked in IT for nearly 15 years and I'm embarrassed to find that I'm struggling with parts of it. I've always worked for company's that have a single site and a single domain and I think thats why I'm struggling with parts of this.

But since reading some other posts on here it looks like I'm not the only one and there is some great advice. I've ordered another book and will be reading up on WSUS. WSUS is not even covered in my MS Press book!!!!

By the way, (I know this is the wronk room for this) but has anybody else done there course via the NITLC and feels like they where conned?

Certifications: A+, N+, NT4 W/S & NT4 Server MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  2. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

Relax.I was in your situation last week, so i can understand.
    Don't rush your exam. I have studied 4 months 2 hours a day before to feel enought confident.
    If you have the MSbook, that will cover all the topics you can find at the exam.
    I know the sensation when " more you study more you feel confused", if you have question post here or to www.mcseword.com. You will find a lot of helpfull people (more than me) glad to help.
    Good luck
    Nico

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

291 is the most (in my opinion) difficult exam in the list.
    WSUS is a new technology and MS just loves to put new items in their exams. WSUS is covered in the second edition of MS-Press Self-paced Training-kit chapter 12 lesson 4.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

If you need extra material then try the Windows 2003 Resource Kit. I know it's expensive but everything you need is in there! As for NITLC, well I did the W2K track with them and to be honest for the money that was paid I would have expected a lot more. At the time - 4 years ago - I was quite happy with what I got! But thinking back I'm of the opinion that they could have offered a heck of a lot more 5 day workshops to go with the M$ exams! Instead of just leaving you to it after XP...

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. bodie37

bodie37 Bit Poster

I agree. I think the 70-291 is crying out for a workshop. Also the salesman's patter was rubbish. He almost said that once you have a MCSE you will walk into a job. This is not true at all.

Anyway I've ordered the Mick Meyers Passport book and I have access to Microsoft Technet as well, so this will help.

I do that there is a big difference to Microsoft World and the way things are done in the real world mind

Certifications: A+, N+, NT4 W/S & NT4 Server MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  6. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

WSUS is included in the exam but not in some course books. I recently did the 70-291 and was learning about SUS servers, which was quite irritating since they no longer ask exam questions on it :(

However WSUS is totally free to download:biggrin If your doing the mcse then i would recommend getting (if you do not already have) the trial version of server. Installation of wsus is quick and painless and even with a single machine/virtual machine on the domain you can play with it.

Personally i find wsus a lot lot lot simpler and smoother to use than sus. If your anything like me then messing around with the software will instill more information and knowledge than reading about it ( i like to see things happen).

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Don't give up Bodie, I'm in the exact same position.

Been studying/trying to study for my 291 for what seems like a year, but just dont get the time I'd like to tackle the beast. After 2 months of 'hour here' 'hour there' i feel like im making headway.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Great advice guys and gals as this is what this forum should be about. I am a firm believer that anything is achievable with a bit of hard work and determination though it might take time.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. motorleague

motorleague Bit Poster

I'm doing my MCSE through the NITLC. To be honest I'm very happy with the quality of support, John Hough in particular. They do leave you to your own devices a bit after the first MCP, but they're always available and happy to help if you need to pick their brains.

Best of luck in getting through this one.

Certifications: MCSA, A+, Network+
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE
  10. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Honestly mate iv just passed that exam, best advice i can give you is to grab the MS resource kit for the MCSA/MCSE it covers everything! Also try by actually doing the stuff in the book rather then just reading it, it might sink abit more mate. Good luck though TAKE YOUR TIME OVER IT!!

11. karl_lankford

karl_lankford Byte Poster

Dont let it bother you - the book is a joke. Get the CBT nuggets videos - I can mail you a link to the "site"

I struggled like hell with it, but rememeber a pass is a pass!

Certifications: CISSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: MCSE Upgrade
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

There are free CBT's for the 291 now then?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What site is that?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Why do I have a sinking feeling that they aren't actually 'free'.....

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well I wasn't going to say before Karl replied, but it would be a first if they were 'free'. And if they aren't, well promoting software piracy here isn't tolerated, full stop ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  16. karl_lankford

karl_lankford Byte Poster

i was going to point him in the direction of CBTnuggets.com --> PM me for a direct link to the video you need.

Certifications: CISSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: MCSE Upgrade
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Fair enough, although the samples on the CBT main site are pretty limited, they aren't gonna help a great deal.