70-291 passed, where from here?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by nutsy, Jul 3, 2009.

1. nutsy

nutsy Bit Poster

Hi there,

I started studying for my MCSE about 2 years ago, passed 70-290 in a month or two and then got sidetracked by several complicated (paid) work projects. I never quite managed to start studying again, until last week when I learned I was being made redundant!

So, I thought "oh ****!" and dusted the book for 70-291 off, studyed hard for about 2 hours a day for a week, and then booked the exam for 2 days later - this morning. Passed with a score of 952 (phew!). I figure I'm going to do the xp client exam next, which hopefully should be fairly easy, but where shall I go after that?

I have about 5 years experience of administering / designing / supporting windows networks and the various bits and pieces that come along with them, with a particular empahis on SBS 2003. I'm doing the qualifications more as CV fluff than to gain knowledge (although everything learned is a bonus), as I'm fairly confident in my experience and also my ability to learn on the job - always been good at self teaching and figuring things out as I go.

I thought I might try and quickly get the MCSA qualification and start applying for jobs while I try to finish up the MCSE, though I don't want to take any more exams than needed (£88 is a lot of chocolate cookies).

Anyone have any suggestions?

WIP: MCSE
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done mate. Just one bit of advice from me, don't take your 70-270 too lightly . . . .
    Congrats, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi, It's good to see another southend boy here!

It sounds like you have good experience, so i would think you would be able to do the MCSA pretty quickly.

Not many jobs around at the moment, but it can't hurt to look around.

Well done on the pass BTW.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCSA sounds like a good plan!

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Congrats! :D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. nutsy

nutsy Bit Poster

Thanks all - have the 70-270 booked for friday, fingers crossed, gonna do the 70-620 after as a quick step to get the MCSA, then move on to the final MCSE exams.

WIP: MCSE