70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Dubfire, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Right, ive got the motivation to embark on the server exam, ive got hold of the MS press book, and ive managed to obtain a copy of vmware and server 2003.

Question is what did everyone use as regards to linking PCs together, How many and how would I set it up to carry out the lab exercises?

Want to get started on this one as soon as but dont want to just have the book and cram session to pass, in short I want some hands on.

Should I use vmware or is there another programme I could use for the hands on part?

Awaiting your responses CF.:D

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For MS exams, I've used Virtual PC instead of VMWare as well as real servers/PC's. As for how many you need, work thru the excerises at the end of each chapter, if you need more, just create another VM :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi Dubfire,

If you click the link in my signature called 70-290 it should answer most if not all of your questions.

Happy studying!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Thanks for replys guys.

Where did you buy or aquire your Servers? I was under the impression that you could create a server environment with VMWARE that was more than adequate for training purposes, negating the need to actually buy the pcs and servers etc?

Im completly lost when it comes to this virtual sim environment. To install and run a lab it would take a lot of muscle from your PC/Laptop? Is it just a case of installing the software then its a simple task to start your labs?

Sorry for all these questions, awaiting replys:biggrin

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The Servers that I use are the free trials that come with the MS Press Books. You should have a copy with the 70-290 Book.

I use a HP Laptop that has 4GB Ram, AMD Turion 64 Dual Core 2.0 GHz. This allows me to run Vista as my OS and 4 x MS Virtual PC 2007 machines.

This is either 3 x Severs and 1 x Client or 2 x Servers and 2 x Clients. Operates without any issues.

You can download MS Virtual PC 2007 from here and the Service Pack here

Step 1, is to install them both.

Step 2 Then load up MS Virtual PC and choose > New > Create Virtual Machine > Choose OS (this is the one that you want to install on it. It configures the virtual machine accordingly.

Step 3 Click on settings, and then choose your RAM, create another Hard Drive if requierd, choose Network Adapter etc.

Step 4 Start the Virtual PC and place your CD ROM in the host PC and choose CD > Physical Drive and install as you would a normal PC.

Hope all goes well.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I download trials from MS (as well as from books) as well as used full versions (as we've got a MS licences), you could also get a technet plus sub :)

I only say I was using real servers/PC's as well as virtual ones as I was also implementing what I learnt on the course at work, if it improved services (of course tested it first on my virtual lab).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice on the sims, just what I was after. I'm going to get cracking and nail this one in a couple of months, hopefully.

Rep left, Cragie.:D

8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Pleased I could help 8)