70-290

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Slam, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

Hey guys

I've passed 70-270, moved onto 70-290 and on chapter 11 of the MS press book and there hasn't been a great deal of what I expected there to be, such as DNS and DHCP etc. I'm just worried that by the time I'm finished the book I'm still not going to be upto speed for the exam. I absolutely hate reading, not sure if its because of my bad eyesight but I'd like to know what other book I can use to supplement my studying. I had a quick look at the specifications for 70-291 and I can only assume it covers everything that 290 doesn't about server 2003. Another thing I'm worried about is gaining these certs then later down the line I'll forget what I've learned, especially at a crucial time during an interview when their testing my knowledge. Anyone else have the same worries?

Cheers

2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Slam,

I took the 290 recently, and am studying the 291 as we speak.

The DNS and DHCP is tackled on the 291 and I don't think it actually came up specifically in anyway in the 290.

The way I looked at the 290 (Probably the wrong way :) ) was that it was less about network, more about actually using Server 2003. Where the 291 is more about network, and using Server 2003 with the network based utilities and functions.

To be honest Slam, as far as forgetting what I learnt on the certs goes, I think that as time goes on, everyone will forget what they learn while certifying unless they constantly use what they learn. It doesn't worry me as such, but I suppose it helps to try and keep your skills up to date, instead of gaining a cert and never again refreshing those skills.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard